Thread: Limits of Revit Automation?

Login to Give a bone

Default Limits of Revit Automation?

Hi,

I'm new here. I’m looking into Revit Macros to automate things and make our lives easier.

Specifically, I’m wondering about the extent of how much can be automated in Revit. I’ve seen a lot of macros about renaming views/sheets, editing parameters, etc. But I want to automate creating & moving family instances, dimensions, and model elements.

For example, I’m working on a power & data plan that I inherited, and the outlets are all over the place. Many are stacked back-to-back and need to be staggered.

Ultimately, it would be great to have a script/macro that basically says “Select all west-facing instances of an outlet that are 2’-6” to 4’-0” away from a specific type of wall, and move them to be 3’-0” away from that wall, and add a linear dimension.” And then do the same for east-facing instances to be 4’-0” way from the wall, etc.

Other examples of things I want to automate:
    “for every X type of door between 0” and 1’-0” from X type of wall, move that door to be 4” from that wall.”
    “for every X type of wall face on X type of floor, create a horizontal split face 4” above the floor.”
    “for every X type of furniture with a space conflict, uncheck X instance parameter (if it intersects a column, automatically uncheck the parameter that shows the chair, because it's not usable)”

I’m sure that these may be way out of the realm of possibility, but if something like this is achievable, it would literally each of us at least an hour every day. I’m interested to hear your thoughts! Maybe I can work with Autodesk on implementing some of these.

Thank you,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Limits of Revit Automation?

I would check into Dynamo. I don't know if what you want to do can be done with Dynamo, but many people use it to help automate tasks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Limits of Revit Automation?

Thank you, I've been in contact with our Dynamo expert but she's not that advanced to give me an answer. I'll try posting in the DynamoBIM forums.