Thread: View, share Inventor models on touch screens

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question View, share Inventor models on touch screens

Hello all,

I am a first time poster, but spent some time searching the forum for some past threads with no success.

In short, our manufacturing facility is wanting to go to a "paperless" shop floor. The idea is that our fabricators would have a Surface Pro4 and 40" TV in their work area with WiDi (wireless display streaming) from the SP4 to the TV. The fabricator would have a stylus and the ability to mark-up, make notes and pull some dimensions (if needed) from the .dwf file on the SP4. However, I would also like to be able to let them access the 3D model (especially for larger assemblies) so they can zoom, rotate and maybe even hide/cross-section/isolate.

We have one "test setup" in our engineering area to get familiar with the process and to eventually train the shop floor employees before roll out. I have only spent a few days with the setup, trying to mimic how our fabricators would use it. Unfortunately, it is not going as smooth as I would have hoped and has me wishing I had a mouse. Pinch-zooming does not work, panning doesn't work and I always feel like I need a mouse and the ctrl key.

Does anyone have any feedback on either settings, shortcuts or other words of wisdom to gain some effectiveness of the touch screen using Inventor? Or perhaps something (3D PDFs?) that would "play nice" with the touch screen?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View, share Inventor models on touch screens

Welcome!

Regarding the 3d model access, the dwf can be generated to include it.

From the part/assembly drawing, select File > Export > Export to DWF
    In the Publish Drawing dialog that presents, select the Complete radio button and click Publish
    This will generate a dwf with the model and drawing. You can also choose to publish just the drawing, or model.

HTH
    Last edited by Bunny; 2017-03-08 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo