Thread: shortcuts for common dimensions?

Login to Give a bone

Default shortcuts for common dimensions?

Hi all,

I often find myself not trusting the tolerances of the dynamic input (i.e. not all 1/8" segments are the same length), so I like to enter the numbers manually. This makes things slower, so I try to memorize decimal dimensions (Imperial units) but that is tedious and I end up wasting time trying to recall what 3/32". It is sometimes easier to just type the fraction, but I end of letting go of my mouse due the fact the number pad is on the same side of my body...so what I am wondering is there is a clever way to enter specific dimensions using hotkeys, or a pull-down list?

Oh why can't (AutoCAD) just read my mind?!

And, I understand the tolerances of dynamic input is controlled by the setting for "units" - I suppose some tips relative to changing units for different types of drawings is imperative.
    Last edited by mmiles; 2017-03-06 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Units

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: shortcuts for common dimensions?

Hi
    Simple but worked. I used to use a number pad plugged in to a usb port for number entry.
    Question what is the matter with your dim style. It should work fine if its set how you need. Manually changing numbers is sometimes necessary and I do it when necessary, but it can lead to disaster.

Login to Give a bone

Have you considered setting up separate Dimension Styles for each desired tolerance, and/or simply adding them to a Tool Palette once on the correct layer, etc?

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Have you considered setting up separate Dimension Styles for each desired tolerance, and/or simply adding them to a Tool Palette once on the correct layer, etc?

Cheers
    to clarify, I am referring to the drawing process, not the annotation process.
    Often, I am working with files that other people have worked on, in addition to me. And, I can very often zoom into an area to find overlapping lines, or lines that do not intersect when they should. I attribute this to the use of dynamic input, and other drafting habits. The dynamic input is only as good as the units setting.

For example, set units to 1/4" for a floor plan. Zoom in close, and now draw a line that is 1/4" long using the little pop-up menu to watch the length change dynamically. Do that slowly, and click the end point as soon as the number changes to 1/4". Now draw a second line next to that one, using the first end point of the first line as an inference. For the second line, drag slowly until the length changes to 1/4, but do not click yet. Keep stretching until the length changes to 1/2", and then back off very slightly until it changes to 1/4" - now click. The two lines side by side will be different lengths. for this reason, and my adult onset OCD, I want to enter the number manually.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    to clarify, I am referring to the drawing process, not the annotation process.
    Often, I am working with files that other people have worked on, in addition to me. And, I can very often zoom into an area to find overlapping lines, or lines that do not intersect when they should. I attribute this to the use of dynamic input, and other drafting habits. The dynamic input is only as good as the units setting.
    Thanks for clarifying.

For example, set units to 1/4" for a floor plan. Zoom in close, and now draw a line that is 1/4" long using the little pop-up menu to watch the length change dynamically. Do that slowly, and click the end point as soon as the number changes to 1/4". Now draw a second line next to that one, using the first end point of the first line as an inference. For the second line, drag slowly until the length changes to 1/4, but do not click yet. Keep stretching until the length changes to 1/2", and then back off very slightly until it changes to 1/4" - now click. The two lines side by side will be different lengths. for this reason, and my adult onset OCD, I want to enter the number manually.
    That is a terrible practice, and I am very thankful that I've never even heard of someone doing this before. Haha

If you're not able to impress upon these individuals, or perhaps your manager, that this teaching issue needs to be corrected (i.e. how to properly use OSNAPs, manually entering exact dimensions, etc), there's not much you can do to mitigate the issue and are relegated to being highly reactionary.

There are multiple ways to do this... Macros (for use in menus, toolbars, ribbon button, shortcut menus, or all four, etc.), macro-enabled keys on your keyboard or mouse (I use the G602 + G910 personally), or perhaps adding a Command Reactor to simply adjust UNITS before manual entry and restore to original setting when done, as needed.

As either solution depends on your proficiency, and/or available equipment, perhaps you can suggest which you'd prefer help with?

Obviously, if you have different sheet types within a given plan set that 'always' use a particular precision, then simply set that sheet type's template for the corresponding UNITS value needed (or perhaps create a template for same if you do not already have one?). That way, when working on a sheet of that type, you have your preferred setting already in place, and need only change it if essential.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I guess I would like to figure out a way to have a set of hot keys that represent input of length (i.e. 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", etc). so when I am moving a line, or offsetting something I can quickly enter some common dimensions.

Or, I would like to make a tool palette or a menu to select common dimensions from while working on tedious. I was hoping someone here would have similar wishes, and came up with something.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I guess I would like to figure out a way to have a set of hot keys that represent input of length (i.e. 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", etc). so when I am moving a line, or offsetting something I can quickly enter some common dimensions.

Or, I would like to make a tool palette or a menu to select common dimensions from while working on tedious. I was hoping someone here would have similar wishes, and came up with something.
    Fractional inches aren't common units and a many AutoCAD users around the world wouldn't understand what you're talking about. I'm a Licensed Surveyor who does Civil Engineering work here in the US and we work in decimal feet. You may have better luck finding someone using similar units with similar wishes at one of the AutoCAD Architecture forums - http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay....D-Architecture I'm sure they have their own wish list as well.

Your posts do help explain some of the Architecture plans I've seen. I do hope you find a way to make them more accurate.

Login to Give a bone

Something like this?

https://www.screencast.com/t/YKcY0MAn8

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

yeah, something like that.
    Say, how did that happen?

Login to Give a bone

yeah, something like that.
    In upper left pane of CUI Editor, expand Shortcut Menus under Main CUI, right click Object Cursor Menu, select New Sub-Menu, and name it accordingly. In the lower left pane, add a new Command, name it something easy to find that also represents the dimension it will represent (i.e., 1/32"). In the lower right pane, erase the ^C^C in macro field, and enter '1/32"_', without the ' and where the underscore is a space (empty). Now drag that new Command from the lower left pane, into the upper left pane, and let go once you're hovering the new Sub-Menu you created.

Repeat for as many dimensions you want to be able to input during a Command, and apply/save CUI.

Once done editing CUI, test it out, start the LINE Command, specify a start point, and then hit Shift + Right Click, select your desired value from the new 'dimensions' Sub-Menu, and continue the Command as needed. Lemon squeezy.

Cheers

Computer Specs: