Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming AutoCAD in ObjectARX by Charles McAuley

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Programming AutoCAD in ObjectARX by Charles McAuley

Is there an updated version of this or is this still relevant to today's Autocad? Is there anything else similar to this out there?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K0ULX4Q...I2R6DDHHTOT0JE

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Programming AutoCAD in ObjectARX by Charles McAuley

Wiley holds the official Autodesk Press. They don't list any books on ObjectArx, so I guess that all you can get are out-of-print books. That said, you need to have a good understanding of C++ first and then learn the AutoCAD object model. This book should be a good start, even though it is old. The current documentation is released with the ObjectArx SDK, which can be downloaded here.
    C:> ED WORKING....

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Wiley holds the official Autodesk Press. They don't list any books on ObjectArx, so I guess that all you can get are out-of-print books. That said, you need to have a good understanding of C++ first and then learn the AutoCAD object model. This book should be a good start, even though it is old. The current documentation is released with the ObjectArx SDK, which can be downloaded here.
    yeah thanks. i just bought a book on c++. I am familiar with c# & programming in general. Its strange to me though that there are so few options out there for in depth tutorials.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I don't think there is very much money in writing books these days.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I don't think there is very much money in writing books these days.
    I'm a little afraid of ordering this. I asked a question to a couple of places that had this book & they never responded. I was trying to find out if there is a cd or sample files. If they dont respond to a simple question will i ever get the book delivered? It's from amazon but it's one of those things where it's only available from 3rd party sellers. The other wierd thing is that the new version links show it as $500 where other lists it at $40.

Login to Give a bone

If you just want a book on C++, I would just go to the library. That's what I did.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If you just want a book on C++, I would just go to the library. That's what I did.
    i have a c++ book. i just thought there might be something that shows you how to apply it to autocad. I know there is some stuff online like the Autodesk Developers Network but i was looking for a book that i could buy that would show me how to create objectarx programs. I know its based on c++ but once i learn that how do i apply that knowledge to objectarx & autocad?

Login to Give a bone

Is there a specific reason you need arx? The .net api is pretty robust. I would start there where you can find some tutorials.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sovby254640 View Post
    i have a c++ book. i just thought there might be something that shows you how to apply it to autocad. I know there is some stuff online like the Autodesk Developers Network but i was looking for a book that i could buy that would show me how to create objectarx programs. I know its based on c++ but once i learn that how do i apply that knowledge to objectarx & autocad?
    Once you have a grasp on C++, you apply that knowledge to understanding the documentation in the ObjectARX SDK documentation. It includes both help files and a couple of basic sample projects.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Is there a specific reason you need arx? The .net api is pretty robust. I would start there where you can find some tutorials.
    Not really. Just trying to learn as much as i can.We use autolisp a great deal at my office but the guy that did alot of our programming is retiring soon so i'm trying to learn as much as i can so i can take over for him. He does not know .net or objectarx & says he is too old to learn. Autolisp is great for automation but learning .net & objectarx would give me more flexibility plus i feel like the more i know the more i will be worth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Once you have a grasp on C++, you apply that knowledge to understanding the documentation in the ObjectARX SDK documentation. It includes both help files and a couple of basic sample projects.
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast