Thread: Wall Cleanup & Endcap Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall Cleanup & Endcap Issues

Hello,

I've created various Wall Styles and I am having issues cleaning them up at intersections and corners. I've attached an image below of what occurs and I've included a .dwg file of the same.

Essentially three problems:
    • An exterior siding wall won't cleanup with other wall types
    • A masonry veneer wall won't to return on itself
    • Straight walls won't cleanup with curved walls

Any help or insight to any of the three would be appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Cleanup & Endcap Issues

Easy one first: The curved Wall was in the Standard Wall Cleanup Group, the two straight Walls were in the New Walls Wall Cleanup Group. Changing the curved Wall to the New Walls group enabled cleanup.

Changing the justification of the Exterior 2x6 Masonry New Wall to Left will improve the cleanup with the "top" Exterior 2x6 Siding Wall, as it allows the components that do match up to interact better. The air space Component in the brick Wall has a lower priority (805) than the siding Component of the siding Wall (900), so it will cut through the siding, preventing it from reaching the brick, even with the changed justification.

You may want to reconsider some of your Component Priority settings, and whether, in fact, you would ever have an exterior Wall with brick forming the stem a "T" intersection with an exterior Wall with siding, butting in on the exterior siding side, where the siding Wall carries on beyond the intersection. With the rigid Component having the lowest priority number, the stud Component from the brick Wall will not run through the rigid Component to join up with the stud Component of the siding Wall. Unless that is not one of your issues?

I would also question whether you would ever have two parallel, but offset exterior Wall segments (in the example file, two Exterior 2x6 Siding Walls) joined by a perpendicular interior Wall (Interior 2x6 New). If so, then the priorities need to be reconsidered. The 1210 priority on the interior Wall's outline and drywall Components assure that they will not cleanup with the 1200 priority outline and drywall Components on the interior side of the siding Wall or the 900 priority outline Component.

I also found in curious that the Exterior 2x6 Masonry New has two identical outline Components on the interior side, but I do not know that has any impact on the cleanups you show here. I will also note that you have both sides of your exterior Walls classified as Interior, on the Components tab of each Wall Style. I would think you would want the "+" side of both Walls set to Exterior. Again, that may not do much to improve the cleanup conditions.

I left the Justification Display turned on in the attached, revised file, as I find that helpful when troubleshooting Wall cleanup issues. You will likely want to turn it back off once they are resolved to your liking.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Cleanup & Endcap Issues

Sorry for the delayed reply but thanks a lot for your explanation David, it really helped. The curved wall cleanup problem was a rookie one that I should have seen. As for all of the other issues, your walk through of the priorities made me go back a rethink things solving basically all the problems. Thanks again.