See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Handicap Parking Spaces

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Handicap Parking Spaces

Attached is a simple block I use for creating handicapped parking spaces in our site plans. The block will make 1 to 6 HC parking spaces with striped access aisles between them in accordance with the ADA. The aisle next to the first space adjusts to be either 5' or 8' wide. The space length can be adjusted to be 18, 19 or 20 feet. Concrete wheel stops can be turned on and off. The block can be aligned and flipped.

HC PARK.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MMccall; 2017-03-24 at 12:54 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Handicap Parking Spaces

That's a nifty example. A couple of comments -- all the HC spaces I lay out are Van-accessible, requiring an 11' bay, and (although this may be a state thing..) the crosswalk striping needed is 3 6" white @ 60 degrees. (and just to be ornery -- seems like all the jurisdictions I work with want the parking stripes at 18.5 or 19.5 -- none seem to like 18 or 19 even.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Handicap Parking Spaces

It was never intended to fit anyone's particular need. For my area I used a brief from the US DOJ on ADA compliance released in Dec. 2015, which was based on the 2010 Standards 208.2. That document specified the van space to be 11' wide with a 5' striped aisle but allowed for the space to also be 8' wide if it was next to an 8' wide striped aisle. An 8' space and aisle was the preferred choice by those who sign the plans here. The length of the space goes along with what ever that particular municipality requires for any parking space. Our area varies between 18 to 20.

I posted it more as an example of what could be done to make a string of items in a some-what irregular repeating pattern. The additional spaces 'appear' as a line is incrementally stretched. The increments are tabled to a corresponding scale action that makes them appear. I you look really really close you'd see that all 6 spaces are always there, they're just microscopic. I could have used visibility states triggered by the table but I already used it for the wheel stops.