See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Splitting a Revit Model - Detail References

Login to Give a bone

Default Splitting a Revit Model - Detail References

Hi,
    i've joined recently a project that have been splitted to too many files,i need a help in the followings:

1- what is the best way to make a callout reference for the details in these models? knowing that the details sheets is created on one of them?
    2- after reading a thread here recommend using the worksets than splitting the files, how worksets could help on the size of the project?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Splitting a Revit Model - Detail References

1. This is such a complex question and really depends on what information you have stored where. Basically at a minimum all of the printable sheets should be in a single project file. All the views can be referenced from the attached projects, but to get sheet numbers correct they need to be referenced in the project file with the sheets set up.

2. When you load a project into Revit you have an option to chose worksets not to load. This keeps Revit from computing any of the info of those objects. This can be undone by loading the worksets while you are working in the project and it will still be a large and possibly slow project with the worksets off, but it should help.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your response.

but may i ask:
    if i am going to deliver a model at some point ,then i have to open all the worksets , then i will not be able even to scroll how can i manage that.

another point:
    is it a common practice to have a Model and another revit file linking the model contains all the sheets, because i have tried this before and faced a lot of problems with the dimensions and the tags?

thanks for your help

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by asiaashraf821339 View Post

but may i ask:
    if i am going to deliver a model at some point ,then i have to open all the worksets , then i will not be able even to scroll how can i manage that.
    Each user only opens the workset they need and then they sync it to the central file. Yes when you go to print everything in will take a bit to print, but you shouldn't need to scroll around in it or change things at that point. I mean I know there are always last minute things you notice, but the more last minute things you try to touch up right before printing the more of a hassle it is going to be. That is just a reality.
    The more efficiently you use view templates the more likely you are to get a consistent look with less minor issues to resolve.

another point:
    is it a common practice to have a Model and another revit file linking the model contains all the sheets, because i have tried this before and faced a lot of problems with the dimensions and the tags?
    It is a fairly common practice yes. It does cause some issues, but most find it the most workable option. It is more popular than the large workset method.

What kind of problems with dimensions and tags?

Login to Give a bone

The problems is that:
    1- Sometimes some of the dimensions are just disappeared.
    2- the wall tags sometimes are not reading the exact type of the walls so we delete them and put them again and i don't know what is the reason for not reading the right wall types and its doubled work

and my concern is if accidentally the model in this documentation file is unloaded or removed does it cause a loss for all the annotations?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by asiaashraf821339 View Post
    1- Sometimes some of the dimensions are just disappeared.

2- the wall tags sometimes are not reading the exact type of the walls so we delete them and put them again and i don't know what is the reason for not reading the right wall types and its doubled work

and my concern is if accidentally the model in this documentation file is unloaded or removed does it cause a loss for all the annotations?
    Ah, yes. If you dimension an object from a linked model the dimension can break for a number of reasons. Mostly just from moving walls. That is why I don't put those annotations in the Main model.

If you dimension inside of the linked model you can still show all of that annotation (tags included) in the Main model. You can set views on pages that are linked to a view in the linked model (see attached photo) and do your work in the smaller linked model. Also by systematically using scope boxes and reference planes the system can be very quick and efficient.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I really appreciate your reply on my questions

if i may ask :
    1- What else of annotation except the dimensions and tags could be in the Main model and what is the annotation that would be in the Documentation model?
    2- Does the documentation model contains all the Details to be able to call out from them?

another concern regarding the Worksets:
    When we were working with worksets once any user sync his opened and closed worksets appears and mine is closed...how do you manage this while working with worksets?

Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

I attached a hand drawn diagram of the multiple model set-up. Hopefully this helps clarify more of the questions. I can be hard for me to explain how it works without a visual.

As far as the worksets go, there are setting in the collaborate tab and when you open the model initially (ALWAYS OPEN FILES FROM AN OPEN SESSION OF REVIT, as opposed to double clicking a revit file) to set which worksets open for you as a user personally. Also using working views with personal view templates helps.

I'm not a fan of the workset method so I don't use it often. It requires all users to have a pretty high level of knowledge to make sure they don't accidentally change things.
    Attached Images Attached Images