Thread: Link between Excel and CAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Link between Excel and CAD

Dear Experts,

I am looking for a way to extract my block attributes, that once I click the attribute value in Excel, I want that block to be highlighted in autocad to identify where it is located. Basically, I want a relationship that in one program one instance is selected and it shows in other, or at least I select in excel and it highlights in autocad.

Any help from 'the experts' will be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Link between Excel and CAD

You are aware that this is a huge request that requires a coding a plug-in or third party patch in excel, right?

Is there a reason why you need to select the value in Excel and not in an AutoCAD table in the drawing also created from extracting attributes?

Login to Give a bone

Yes AuBe, I know it needs special efforts, and this will help so many Users, as i explored and didn't find anything.

The purpose behind this is we have some non CAD Users in asset management and they only use Excel and this possibility will help them big time.

Login to Give a bone

You could look into datalinks, or hyperlinks, or custom drawing automation programming -- it's doable, but not widely needed and what ever you come up with will be specific to your situation. (If it's general enough to be broadly applicable -- well it's just duplicating the programming interfaces that _already_ exist in Acad)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iangold View Post
    Yes AuBe, I know it needs special efforts, and this will help so many Users, as i explored and didn't find anything.

The purpose behind this is we have some non CAD Users in asset management and they only use Excel and this possibility will help them big time.
    What you are needing is a GIS, Geospatial Information System such as AutoCAD Map3D. Years ago I used Excel with Map 3D to drive blocks in a dwg of a hospital for a demo.

Login to Give a bone

I am aware of that, but purchasing GIS license is a big deal considering already having AutoCAD licenses. So, looking forward for a lisp or add-in, and that will be very helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iangold View Post
    I am aware of that, but purchasing GIS license is a big deal considering already having AutoCAD licenses. So, looking forward for a lisp or add-in, and that will be very helpful.
    An upgrade to Autocad Map3D from standard Autocad is not that much. All the other options that I know of have been posted about above and will cost $$$ as well, unless you know how to program. Might try asking in the programming forums if anyone can help. http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?88-Programming