Thread: goBIM and Revit family information

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default goBIM and Revit family information

Hello All,

I have been looking for a way to link the information that I wanted to add in the Revit file with the help of an external text or excel file.
    Until now, I used to add the information manually, which consumes a lot of time. And my sister companies uses the same Revit family with the information added in their local language.

Manually adding the copy of the same Revit family with information in different local languages are actually a lot of work.

Then I came across something called goBIM, they says there is an option to link the product information into the Revit files, and also there is a drop-down option to choose the language as well. As you choose the language the information gets translated into that language selected, which is really a cool option.

My question is, to achieve this how much initial work has to be done from my side. And they were doing this for a single type of a family. To update the information in a family with multiple types, should we update it in all the available types individually?

If anyone knows about goBIM, or who already uses this software, please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: goBIM and Revit family information

I have no experience with that particular product itself, but have worked in multiple language situations and found that for construction drawings, automatic translation software did us no favors (for example, "Footstool" via auto translate became "Walking Foot" and not quite okay for medical documentation... I would tread carefully).

What we did was create parallel parameters in our project and in our families, such that everything had both languages. We were using a database tool for planning and programming, there are several, that helped us manage all parameters externally. I would take a look at some of those (CodeBook, Onuma, dRofus, etc.) or even Dynamo. But, I would strongly recommend that you build up an infrastructure, as we did, to support dual languages in your Revit workflows. It takes work, but the rewards are there. Good luck!