Thread: Nested Door Swing Family - Vision Lites

Login to Give a bone

Angry Nested Door Swing Family - Vision Lites

Alright - after spending a few hours this morning battling door families I am coming to you for help. I am currently working on modifying the OOTB Revit 2016 Library Door families. Specifically I am working with the Door-Passage-Single-One_Lite.rfa. The one thing that I don't like about these OOTB families is that the plan swing symbol does not show the door lite - only the true 3D geometry does. So if I were in floor plan in a project there would be no telling which doors have a lite and which don't.

So I have attempted to edit the nested family Door Swing-Single.rfa to add additional symbolic lines to indicate the door lite at different sizes driven by a few parameters I added for the different rail dimensions around the door and have renamed this Door Swing-Single_Lite.rfa. However, every time I attempt to add these symbolic lines and work on flexing the family (specifically when taking the swing angle to 90 degrees and back again) I get error messages about constraints not being satisfied. I have attached both the OOTB door family and the nested family I am currently working with.

You'll notice that if you change the swing angle in the nested family to 90 degrees and then back to any other value the error message will appear. Does anyone have a work-around for this or am I just missing something super simple?

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested Door Swing Family - Vision Lites

While it's not ideal to have too many nests within nests, you could create a simple leaf family with parameters and nest that in your swing family. Then it will swing as a single item. I use line based families quite a lot.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbuz747642 View Post
    While it's not ideal to have too many nests within nests, you could create a simple leaf family with parameters and nest that in your swing family. Then it will swing as a single item. I use line based families quite a lot.
    Funny thing is I've tried that as well - just creating the door panel itself in the nest family and not the swing angle or anything else. When I load it into the full door family and attempt to constrain it to a reference line and create a swing angle parameter in the main door family the nest does not stay constrained to the reference line.

Login to Give a bone

Here's what I think should work: Create the panel with lite, load it into "Door Swing-Single_Lite.rfa" and then load that into your "Door-Passage-Single-One_Lite.rfa". Make sure that the nested panel has enough parameters to be able to do what you want when you load it into "Door Swing-Single_Lite.rfa" (Width and rail dimensions etc.). That SHOULD work. If not, and if I have a few some time, I might give it a swing and post it here.

Login to Give a bone

Great thanks! So essentially a nested family with a nested panel family. I'll work on it tonight/tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes!

Login to Give a bone

Alright. I've tried creating just the door panel as a separate door family and then nesting that into the door swing family (see attached). However, it still will not properly constrain to the reference line for the swing angle. What am I missing here???
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I finally had my epiphany moment. The issue was that with the nest door panel family I had to de-select "Always vertical" and also select "Work Plane-Based". When I loaded it back into the door swing family I selected my reference line as the work plane, constrained it to the reference line - and now it flexes appropriately with the swing angle parameter!