Thread: Parcels do strange things

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parcels do strange things

I have this 5 acre parcel of land that i am subdividing into 10 lots with a road down the middle terminating in a cul-de-sac.
    being such a small piece, i decided to divide it using old school methods (not utilizing the parcel tools). after dividing the property
    into 10 lots with a road down the middle, i decided to annotate the distances using the 2 point line command. once completed,
    i thought i would use the parcel tools to show the area of each lot. so i copied the linework (simple lines, not polylines) off to the
    side and used the create parcels from object to turn everything into parcels and show the area of each lot.

then, i decided i would move the linework with dimensions on top of the parcels. well, that didn't work because the 2 point annotation didn't move with the linework. not sure why.
    then i decided to move the parcels on top of the linework. voila!! no problem, until i noticed something didn't look right. after zooming in really tight on one of the corners of the perimeter
    i noticed a gap, like there were two separated lines, not one on top of the other like you would think.

granted, after i changed my units precision to 4 decimal places and measured the gap it was 0.0009'. i know this is minuscule, but I don't know why this occurred.

the linework was an exact copy of the parcel layout, but when overlayed it is different.

any thoughts?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parcels do strange things

The point to point labeling retains no relationship to any line work whose end points were used to define the locations of the point to point.

If it were me, I would have made a parcel of the boundary first, made sure it closed properly, then converted the interior line work to parcel segments. (parcels from objects) During the process you can set label styles to use for lines, curves and parcel labels. All those labels would be linked to the line work.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parcels do strange things

I second what MMccall said. We create the lot lines using AutoCAD lines and arcs then create parcels from objects. In our office we turn off everything except the boundary, R.O.W. and lot lines. Explode all of the objects to avoid polylines then create parcels from objects. We automatically label the parcels when they are created. The parcels are a great check of your geometry. If there is an overshoot, for example a lot line that projected into the R.O.W., you will see a label at that location. If a line is short and does not create a closed area the parcel label will be missing. We can them extend , trim and grip edit the parcel segments to correct any bad geometry.