Thread: Upgrade to civil3d 2017?

Login to Give a bone

Default Upgrade to civil3d 2017?

My company has been asking for input about a possible civil3d upgrade from 2012 to 2017. We currently have 1 stand alone and about 3 seats within the office. The upgrade is going to cost alot of money and we're not sure if we need it. Does anyone have some suggestions or advice about the advantages that 2017 has that could help us to decide?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Upgrade to civil3d 2017?

Hi
    have you kept your seats current. If you have then you should have the availability to download one and evaluate for yourselves. I have to upgrade this year not really excited about it. I don't like the the selection options they took away the dash highlighting for selections the only highlighting they have now is the thicken and highlight. doesn't work well when you have more than one snap point in close proximity.

Login to Give a bone

Download a trial and test it out for 30 days to see if its worth it to you.

Here is a summary of what's new in AutoCAD 2017. I can't find it for C3D.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Well, bear in mind that it's no longer possible to buy a seat of Civil3d (or any other AutoCAD product). Instead, it's rented to you by the month/quarter/year with ongoing charges forever, and future price increases are (almost) a certainty. And, if you do jump to C3d 2018, backwards compatibility is close to non-existent with your other old seats, so _everyone_ will have to make the jump.

As was suggested, download a 30 day trial and see if it fits your work any better than your current version. Or, investigate alternatives... Carlson Civil (can run either on Acad or on a bundled Intellicad), or BricsCAD or Graebert(may need to explore civil oriented add-ons with that)

The advantage of going the rental route is easy expansion if you have additional hires, and easy downsizing if that happens to be necessary -- you only have to pay for what you think you'll need for the term of the rental. And, it's the best route to ensure compatibility with other firms running C3D 2018.

Downside is ongoing costs, and the sure knowledge that if you quite paying, your drawings are likely going to be useless down the road. New file format, and AECObjectd kinda guarantee that will be the case.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The older versions aren't technically supported on newer OS releases, and may also have some problems with newer video card drivers. You'll also have problems coordinating with others that are already working with more recent releases. That goes the other way as well, ensure your clients/partners are going to be OK with the format change.

Make sure you test out any customizations and third-party additions to ensure they are compatible with the new release. Some tasks which used to require third-party tools have been added into the core program, so evaluate whether you still need them or not.

Make sure you evaluate not only the single product but the Collections as well. Don't just "We'll NEVER use [this], or [that], or...". I've started cringing every time someone mentions that to me, as within a couple of months there's an inevitable "We need to do [this] and/or [that]. When can you get started?". They may not be part of your current work processes but they could very well be could be added later on as your business looks for "value added" improvements, or needs a little extra something to keep clients on board e.g. if you provide client with services "x" and "y", and a competitor provides that *plus* "a" "b" and "c" for about the same cost, three guesses where that client's going.