Thread: Properties Window...Parameters show three dots

Login to Give a bone

Default Properties Window...Parameters show three dots

Can anyone help with this.
    Ever since I installed revit 2017, whenever open an existing project or start a new project,
    the Properties window always opens showing only three dots in the left hand Parameter name column.
    Although I can drag it across to reveal the text, I have to do it every time, and its a real time wasting pain.
    Nobody else mentions this, and its never been an issue in previous versions of Revit.
    I assume there must be a setting somewhere that defines the width of the column on opening but I cannot find it.
    Can anyone please help? I would like it to open so it shows the text in the column.
    I hope to hear from one of you soon, even if its to say 'No, Revits hardwired that way now!'.

Thanks

Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Properties Window...Parameters show three dots

Have you noticed that lots of people view posts but no one ever seems to reply anymore?
    Is it that nobody uses Revit 2017?
    Or does everyone have this issue and its not worth a reply?

Login to Give a bone

i would split the 2 pallets
    I don't think 2017 likes that.
    Other option is to blow away the display setting file from the Registry and Revit create a new one.
    Not sure it'll fix your problem but it resets them when they're locked. Might work out for you.
    I'm assuming you're on a certified Video card and driver and not running a Window Areo theme.
    Those are 2 other things that cause Revit to not play nice.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for replying Dave.
    I have tried splitting the two palletes...and yes that works! Thanks.
    The only issue is that I lose screen real estate.

Like many people now, I use two monitors, with the Main Revit window maximised on the main monitor, and the palletes on the other immediately beside.
    The remainder of the second screen I usually have other programs running to and from which I can refer and update assisting the design process in Revit, eg client emails, briefing documents, consultant reports, manufacturers web info, word, excel, etc.
    Screen space is therefore at a premium.
    I got used to working this way in Revit 2016, which continues to work ok with the tabbed Project Browser and Properties Pallete occupying the same space, and do not exhibit the triple dot issue.

It makes me wonder why I pay the £1,000 + VAT maintenance plan for Revit's annual downgrades (it seems that way over recent years with only mostly unused bells and whistles being added to the program, never attending to the core niggles and bugs that slow work down).

Re: the aero theme...no I dont have that running.

Re: blowing away the display settings file from the registry...How do you do that?
    I did wonder if the Revit.ini file had some settings that might be affecting the display, but since a microsoft update it seems that the C;\user\Appdata\ ...files and directories are no longer accessable! Anything from and including ...\Appdata\onwards will not show in the explorer window!, even with show hidden files turned on! ODDLY its still there, I can only see it if I do a search... but unusually this takes ages and only finds it if I search from the root directory.

I see you are using Revit 16 and Win 7 64... and I note I had no issue with that combination. My problems started with Revit 17 and the Windows 10 update ( I chose to stick with Win 7, and disabled the win 10 update option, but came in one morning to find all the computers had been auto updated to win 10 overnight, with no roll back option!)

I would be interested to know if anyone else is running Revit 17 in windows 10 and having this issue or not?

So many thanks Dave,
    and if anyone else is reading this post with Revit 17 in windows 10 would they please post if they have the three dot issue or not?

Thanks,
    Robin

Login to Give a bone

Here's how you fix the registry thing.
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit...n/td-p/4382509

I'm running 2017, but on Win7 on One workstation and Win10 on the laptop.
    But I don't use the laptop much for production work.
    And we just downloaded 2018.
    Need to update my sig line again.

With the update to Win10, How old is the graphics card your using? Wondering if there's something not playing nice there.