Thread: Splitting up Revit model to send off site?

Login to Give a bone

Default Splitting up Revit model to send off site?

Hello,

I am wondering what the easiest process is to split up a model to send off site? We are an MEP Engineering firm and I am very busy with Revit work the next couple weeks and the only help I can get is in California ( I am in Denver). What would be involved in getting our models out to someone in California? Do I just split the model up by discipline and have him just help with one discipline at a time? Do I need to merge the work back in once he is done? What is the process? What are some possible problems that I am not thinking of?

Is there an easy way to accomplish this? I am feeling a little uncomfortable just because I have never done this before...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Splitting up Revit model to send off site?

Will the person in California be working on a model that is being actively edited by others in Denver at the same time? Do you have an in-house network connection between the California location and Denver? Even if you do, I would imagine that is enough of a distance that trying to work from California on the Denver model would be difficult (slow, really slow synchronizations with possible crashing), at best. Revit Server might be a solution for that, but if that is not already in place and you are very busy, trying to implement that on a project already underway may not be the best way to go. But you may want to look into it.

Are all disciplines in one file now? Are there any linked files? All the smart-interconnectedness of a Revit model makes it a lot more difficult to parcel out a chunk of a model. You cannot just WBLOCK it out and INSERT it back in like you might do in AutoCAD.

If you can identify a zone of the model that would be worked on in California and that those in Denver could be told to avoid, you could make a Group and then save that Group out as its own Revit file and send that to California. When the California work is done, the modified file could then be used to update the Group in Revit. But that may or may not work if you are dealing with MEP systems that want to remain connected for things to be done properly. (Sorry, I am an architect. What I am suggesting probably works better for a section of Walls, Doors, etc. than for systems that run through the entire building.

Perhaps someone on the MEP side of things that has dealt with a similar situation in the past can offer better advice.