See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with CAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Experience with CAD

32 years. Originally on the board. Started learning CAD with AutoCAD version 1.0. Started using AutoCAD version 2.0 soon after 1985 or thereabouts. I remember when MS Windows debuted with all those user interface elements that AutoCAD had for many years before. With Windows came AutoCAD LT which meant much cheaper CAD without that stuff you might need < 1% of the time. Became an expert with that and using DIESEL and menu modification and development. Still here. Hopefully can retire in another 15 to 20 years.

Login to Give a bone

Started with version 2.1 in the fall of 1985, so 32 years with AutoCAD. 7 years before that on the board hand drafting. That makes 39 years of drawing plans for highway bridges, time flys. I actually had to refuse to work with one engineer in the late 80's because he didn't want any of his work done in CAD, wanted it all done by hand. I eventually was back working on his projects later after he saw that AutoCAD was going to take over hand drafting. I had seen it a few years earlier

Login to Give a bone

Nice to see I'm not the only old dog learning everyday, been working in CAD since release 12 about 1993. Went to a technical HS, with an excellent architecture teacher. I hated learning CAD mostly because everyone would switch my mouse back to the right.
    I've been blessed to be involved in over 400 million in construction projects in my 17 years working, i've built homes and we've moved millions of cubic yards of earth and concrete. One thing about learning design in a real world model environment, is you get sense of place again, and everything we do, whether its a horse wash or a highway. we can say, I did that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12