See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How many users?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question How many users?

As a CAD/BIM Manager, I am finding myself getting more and more swamped as our firm continues to grow. So I have a question for folks:

What do you think is the maximum number of users that a single, full-time BIM Manager ought to be able to support? And if you can indicate what sort of job duties your answer assumes, so much the better.

I could swear I've seen a question like this asked before in AUGI, but I was unable to find anything after multiple searches.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How many users?

One scenario that I've experienced was teams consisting of 3-6 members including one team leader each. Between 3-5 team leaders are managed by one BIM Manager. 2 or more BIM Managers are managed by a BIM Director. So a BIM Manager might handle approximately between 10-30 team members if he/she is involved in training, technical support and business aspects while being able to deal directly face-to-face. A BIM Director will manage 60+ personnel, focusing entirely on the strategic aspect.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How many users?

It varies a bit, but I've been in these roles or known my predecessors for 24+ years.

I have a rule of 30 employees for 1 BIM/CAD Manager. It can be smaller than that, but full time you can support and keep busy with about 30 people. You start to Max out around 60 individuals. Add another and you can go about 60 more. Once you reach 150-200 you either add another manager or you start adding coordinators that report to either a Manager or a Director. In summary, start at 30...go up to 60 (ish) then start adding support about every 60 employees.

Now duties, expertise in specific technologies, billiable hours of these coordinators/managers, etc can make a big difference in these numbers. I've known guys that have supported 200 users "by themselves".... but usually they have some behind the scenes help that just don't have CAD/BIM manager titles. In short: a full time BIM manager with 20 employees... probably isn't keeping busy just doing BIM management. One serving 100 employees probably has a lot of help (IT staff, etc) or should start looking for another job as they are likely waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overworked.