Thread: Help setting up studio/acad

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Help setting up studio/acad

Ok, i have read all of the info i can find on getting started and i'm still stuck. Here is where I am:
    I have acad 2011.
    I have visual studio 2017

I can't get objectarx 2011 to install, error says i need studio 2008 present.
    I have scoured the internet and microsoft website, no links to install studio 2008 (i guess it reached the 10 year mark a month ago so it's not supported anymore?)

so now i'm stuck, all i want to do is get going on some coding but I'm 2 weeks into this venture and can't get off the starting blocks. I am asking for a little more help than the average user i think, so please, if you have some patience and a little extra time to help guide me through this i would be eternally grateful!!!!

Where do i go from here? I don't have the money to buy a new version of acad. How can i get to C# coding using my ancient 2011 acad if i can't download studio 2008? Im past the point of frustration with this and am starting to feel defeated .....please somebody help me out.

Thanks,
    James

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help setting up studio/acad

Hi , welcome to augi. The good news is that you don't have to install the objectarx exe. It just installs some templates and you can create your own. But some others have done that for you. See this thread.
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...light=template
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Ok, i have acad 2011, those other threads didn't help much. Are you saying that i can use VS2017 with ACAD2011? Every tutorial i come across tells me to install the objectarx, can i just skip that step then?

Login to Give a bone

Giles posted some templates. I would copy the ones for 2013 to your 2011 folder and see how that works. All the install does is install a couple of templates for c# and VB for creating new projects and forms. Giles had created his own templates. The arx install also had a dialog for registering the proper dll's for your project, but you can do that manually by right clicking on the References section of the Project Browser and selecting Add Reference.

Login to Give a bone

Okay, that makes sense. So now that i have everything set up and working I used solution explorer >> add references >> and added references to AcDbMgd.dll, AcMgd.dll & AcCui.dll. These were shown in the tutorial i am trying to do, it's straight from Autodesk site, the AutoCAD .NET Developers Guide (its from 2010 though, so a little old). When i type in the sample code it's not working though. It is auto-filling the libraries i am importing ( autocad.runtime, autocad.applicationservices, etc) but there are a ton of keywords that aren't being recognized ("Document", "DocumentManager", etc.). This leads me to believe i have done something wrong.

So, before i dive into the deep end, could you post (or is there somewhere you know of i could find) a quick little application (or is it called solution?) that does something super simple like draws a circle at 0,0 or inserts a text object that says "hello world" at 0,0? I just want to make sure i get to understand how this process is going to work, understanding the link between VS & ACAD and knowing how to get a project to load/run. I think once i have that i can play around and do a lot of learning on my own.

Thank you so much for the responses so far, can't tell you how much i appreciate it and how excited i am right now to be this close to finally getting the setup done (will worry about the headaches from writing code when i get there!).

Greatly Appreciative,
    James

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info, I am up and running finally!!!!

Login to Give a bone

That's good to hear.