Thread: Autodesk Licensing

Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Licensing

Is it getting so "simplified" with the "New and Improved" subscription that it's not worth having an independent forum strictly for licensing concerns?

Small shops may not have the resources of experience to do cost analysis. (I guess every small business has that problem regardless of CAD or not)

I was looking for threads on licensing. Is it a forbidden topic or some-such? (...or was my search just that bad?)

I had been able to download and rent Revit LT and rent it for $27-ish per month last year. I wanted to play with it. I'd like to avoid getting the whole R-LT suite. It's over twice as much money per month.

Does anyone know how it can be split out please?

Thanks,
    Bill

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Dinochrome View Post
    Is it getting so "simplified" with the "New and Improved" subscription that it's not worth having an independent forum strictly for licensing concerns?

Small shops may not have the resources of experience to do cost analysis. (I guess every small business has that problem regardless of CAD or not)

I was looking for threads on licensing. Is it a forbidden topic or some-such? (...or was my search just that bad?)

I had been able to download and rent Revit LT and rent it for $27-ish per month last year. I wanted to play with it. I'd like to avoid getting the whole R-LT suite. It's over twice as much money per month.

Does anyone know how it can be split out please?

Thanks,
    Bill
    You know, aside from a couple comments in CWC, I haven't seen much chatter about it here (though the autodesk dg are a different story).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Related question, because I don't know and someone asked me..

If you purchase AutoCAD with a "Perpetual License" does that mean it is not a subscription but a stand-alone piece of software?
    Any info out there on this??

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Related question, because I don't know and someone asked me..

If you purchase AutoCAD with a "Perpetual License" does that mean it is not a subscription but a stand-alone piece of software?
    Any info out there on this??
    Watch the terminology. "Subscription" can refer to both the support program/entitlements as well as the current generation of Desktop/rental-model licenses (hence my deliberate use of the latter).

You can't purchase a perpetual license anymore, except for certain jurisdictions where you can purchase a legacy product from another user. And those available for actual sale are few and far between.

The perpetual license is just that - perpetual. Unlike Desktop/rental-model It doesn't need to phone home, or connect to the internet for confirmation (at least for the individual - network licenses are a bit different). As long as you keep up with maintenance payments ("Subscription") then you are entitled to a new release. It doesn't guarantee that your products will be updated to a new release e.g. a product can be terminated and replaced with a different one, in which case you are not entitled to the new program - it's not covered under the agreement.

439 University Avenue, 5th Floor, Toronto, Postal
    Login to Give a bone

Hi,Stand-alone licenses are ideal for individuals or small offices requiring only a few individuals to access and use Autodesk products.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dinochrome View Post
    If you don't mind hopping over to the Autodesk forums, there is a place specifically for this discussion.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |