Thread: How to share Tool Palettes in an office environment

Login to Give a bone

Default How to share Tool Palettes in an office environment

Hi
    I have several tool palettes that I created on my PC and have now exported and 5 other people use them on their machines.
    They have been running fine, but just recently every time Auto CAD is started up, a 'New Palette' (blank) tab is added to the tool palette bar.
    Any ideas why this happens and how best to fix it?
    Thanks
    Kieran

- AutoCAD LT 2018

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to share Tool Palettes in an office environment

Hello Kieran,

This could happen for a few different reasons. Does it happen on the 5 other users or just yours? If its just yours i would check the Tool Palettes File locations folder in your options (Files Tab) and open that location in a windows browser. Look in there to verify if there is not a "NEW" blank palette saved in there that it keeps loading up when CAD is started. If there is one in there it needs to be deleted from the folder as well as from the tool palettes bar.

If this is not the case let me know and we can move on from there.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jujohnson697809 View Post
    Hello Kieran,

This could happen for a few different reasons. Does it happen on the 5 other users or just yours? If its just yours i would check the Tool Palettes File locations folder in your options (Files Tab) and open that location in a windows browser. Look in there to verify if there is not a "NEW" blank palette saved in there that it keeps loading up when CAD is started. If there is one in there it needs to be deleted from the folder as well as from the tool palettes bar.

If this is not the case let me know and we can move on from there.

Thanks,
    Hi
    The 'New Palette' comes up on other machines too, I had 5 on mine today!
    There is no new palette when I look in the windows browser file location.
    Kieran

Capture.PNG

Also there are new files created on the above screen shot.
    The next screen shot is a new folder that has appeared with more ATC files in.
    Capture2.PNG
    Last edited by Kieran105; 2017-05-26 at 03:29 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I've double checked and not everyone is getting the new palette. One users PC keeps loosing the network drive and the autocad automatically puts a new tool palette in.
    Would it be best to start again with the palettes and delete everything and then re-export them all?

Login to Give a bone

I would recommend moving the palettes to a shared network location and adding a path to that location on the other users machines. It helps if you are the only one with write access to the folder since it seems you are the moderator of the palettes. If you do this it will also help to get rid of the "exporting" them and having to load them on the other computers since everyone will be pointing to the folder where you create them.

Essentially as you create palettes on your CAD it loads them to the folder and then when the other users restart CAD it will only load those palettes located in the folder. Gives you more contorl over content and being able to keep an eye oout for the Random "New" palettes CAD creates in the situation you described below.

Let me know if this could be a solution for you and i will see if i can find any good reference information to help you out.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

There is a pdf at the bottom of the following link that I found very useful.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...-tool-palettes

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jujohnson697809 View Post
    I would recommend moving the palettes to a shared network location and adding a path to that location on the other users machines. It helps if you are the only one with write access to the folder since it seems you are the moderator of the palettes. If you do this it will also help to get rid of the "exporting" them and having to load them on the other computers since everyone will be pointing to the folder where you create them.

Essentially as you create palettes on your CAD it loads them to the folder and then when the other users restart CAD it will only load those palettes located in the folder. Gives you more contorl over content and being able to keep an eye oout for the Random "New" palettes CAD creates in the situation you described below.

Let me know if this could be a solution for you and i will see if i can find any good reference information to help you out.
    Hi
    The only one that I have found with the new palette is the PC that keeps loosing the shared network drive. He wasn't in today and I didn't get any new palettes on my CAD, so that has to be the problem.
    I will redo the palettes in a new folder and make them read only.
    How do you make them read only as I haven't seen the option before while making the palettes?
    Kieran

Login to Give a bone

When you create the folder on the network you have to set permissions for who is able to write to it under the folder properties (right click on folder) using the security tab. My IT department has to set these permissions. you would need to set yourself as write/read and everyone you don't want creating palettes as read only, and to whomever is set as "Read only" the palettes will show up with a lock symbol on them and they can't do anything but use them in CAD.

The link that MMccall shared below has good information in it to help set these up.