See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Multiple wall types - best way to create options

Login to Give a bone

Question Multiple wall types - best way to create options

Hey everyone - this is my first post... here goes...

I am creating a house type with several elevational treatment options (brickwork, render, timber cladding etc etc). Essentially, the house is exactly the same in footprint, plumbing, wiring, internal layout etc, all that needs to change is the "look" of the outside, plus the associated material take off (bricks, render, blocks etc).

With Design Options, it appears that when selecting an object to add to a set (i.e., the wall), EVERYTHING connected to that wall must also be selected (lintels, windows, light switches, sockets, radiators, pipework.... the list goes on). Does anyone have any idea on a simpler way of doing this? The only way I can achieve what I'm after at the moment, is to create my model for type 1 (brick), then save-as, and create a whole new project for type 2 (rendered blockwork), and 3 (timber cladding) etc., leaving me with several models/projects to manage, 95% of which are essentially identical.

Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple wall types - best way to create options

Welcome to the forums.
    I'd suggest using design options but rather than creating your exterior walls as compete assemblies create the 'core' portion of the wall (interior finish, studs and exterior sheathing) as one wall type. For each design option create the various cladding types as their own walls. The 'core' wall is in the main model and each of the cladding belongs to its own design option.
    Make sure doors and window are hosted in the main model walls. For your masonry walls include air space and exterior insulation, if needed, as part of the cladding assembly..
    Using this approach you can have multiple elevation, section, schedule and 3D views set to show the various options.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks very much for the response Dimitri; I tried this out last night, but had problems cutting the outer wall for the windows / doors (which would be mounted within the inner wall). Any advice on this? If I can get your suggestion to work, it would save a whole heap of headaches!

Login to Give a bone

Without design options you can use the [I]Join Geometry[I] command and, as long as both walls are in contact, the openings will pass through both walls.
    If using design options you'll need to edit the profiles of the cladding walls to include the openings. You'll also need to manually coordinate any changes to size and location. You can make pretty short work of it by tab selecting the perimeter geometry to get your profile lines.
    All in all I think the advantage of having everything in one model and the ability to place multiple options on one sheet for printing outweighs the inconvenience of the process. Once the final cladding decision is made you can Accept Primary, eliminate the other options, remove the profile sketches and join geometry to make any additional changes more automatic.

Login to Give a bone

You're probably right re the advantages outweighing the manual stuff. The options will be available "for all time" - i.e., the individual sites can select a "traditional", "modern", "country" etc elevational style for the individual housing development they're constructing; so as such "Accept Primary" will never be selected. Having said this though, the footprint of each house type is fairly well set, so changes would be minimal.

Thanks for your help Dimitri; I'll try it out today / tomorrow, and let you know how it goes. It always helps to discuss these process ideas with someone else - much appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    Without design options you can use the [I]Join Geometry[I] command and, as long as both walls are in contact, the openings will pass through both walls.
    If using design options you'll need to edit the profiles of the cladding walls to include the openings. You'll also need to manually coordinate any changes to size and location. You can make pretty short work of it by tab selecting the perimeter geometry to get your profile lines.
    All in all I think the advantage of having everything in one model and the ability to place multiple options on one sheet for printing outweighs the inconvenience of the process. Once the final cladding decision is made you can Accept Primary, eliminate the other options, remove the profile sketches and join geometry to make any additional changes more automatic.
    Hi Dimitri,

Thank you for this, tried it out quite extensively, and all appears to be working great! Obviously I've had to modify exterior wall mounted families (vents, lighting, flues etc) to make allowances for a host wall thickness + the outer wall, but this has proven successful. Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Glad to help.