Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linetypes of Xref drawing misbehaving when plotting

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linetypes of Xref drawing misbehaving when plotting

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We have encountered a similar issue with Civil 3D 2017. We have traced the cause to using reference styles in drawings that are attached as xrefs. It appears that Civil 3D is unable to correctly read or apply reference styles when the drawing is externally referenced.

We removed style references from all xref drawings and this problem went away.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rfazio708529 View Post
    I think you are missing my point. The screen shot from Civil 3D is what is should look like. (dashed lines for the contours) The PDF attached is showing what they look like in plot preview and when plotted. I have tried with four different plotters and the same results. Solid lines instead of dashed on the surface contours.

All display setting are the same as you suggested and the graphics card meet the recommended requirement. This has not been a issue until Civil 3D 2018 Everything worked fine in 2017. And it is only a problem when the surface is xrefed into another drawing. It works fine in the drawing where the surface was created.
    This doesn't address your issue, but I think these are good practices that will help keep Civil 3D problems to a minimum:

1. Never XREF a Civil 3D object; always use data shortcuts. This will make for a lot more DWG files, but not extra time. You will save time by reducing potential problems.
    2. Think of the files where the Civil 3D object is created as "DWG files". These files are not "drawings"; they are tools to create Civil 3D objects. Drawings are created from other DWG files.
    3. Never XREF Civil 3D labels. Only create Civil 3D labels in the DWG file used to create final drawings.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I solved the problem by checking the layer that the surface profile line resides on in the base drawing. In my case it was sitting on the design TC layer (C-PROF-TC-N), which has a continuous linetype definition. Once I moved the surface profile line to the correct layer (C-PROF-GND-CL-X) it now plots correctly. AutoCAD/Civil3D is not using the style definition to plot from it is grabbing the object layer.

Login to Give a bone

Re: Linetypes of Xref drawing misbehaving when plotting

I was having the same issue with the line type not plot previewing or plotting correctly. My co-working suggested checking the line type the surface is on, when I did, that line type was set to continuous. Once I changed the line type to dashed2, it plot previewed and plotted correctly. So, to sum up, make sure the line type that your surface is on is the one you want it to plot.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Pachol View Post
    This doesn't address your issue, but I think these are good practices that will help keep Civil 3D problems to a minimum:

1. Never XREF a Civil 3D object; always use data shortcuts. This will make for a lot more DWG files, but not extra time. You will save time by reducing potential problems.
    2. Think of the files where the Civil 3D object is created as "DWG files". These files are not "drawings"; they are tools to create Civil 3D objects. Drawings are created from other DWG files.
    3. Never XREF Civil 3D labels. Only create Civil 3D labels in the DWG file used to create final drawings.
    #1, #2 & #3 are all 180° different from what I've been told, read, and experienced since 2008 (including the Civil 3D Best Practices guides). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you're recommending users never xref a file contains data references?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We have this solved. Define the line type in the style (existing centerline profile or eg contours). That is, don't use "By Layer" in the style, but use the line type, "Dashed" or "Hidden". It works every time for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12