Thread: Aspiring BIM manager/consultant looking for pointers

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Aspiring BIM manager/consultant looking for pointers

Hi,

Quick introduction: I am currently working for a big construction firm on a project installing fiber-optic cables for an internet provider. At the moment I am a measly street surveyor doing basic scrub-work. I have studied architecture for 3 years but did not get my degree due to "circumstances", I am 26 yrs old. After working in this company for a short while and seeing the problems they are faced with, I see an opportunity: what they need is a way to synchronize the various data files, deadlines/planning, issues, CAD-plans etc. for all the "players", both in the office and on the field.

Sounds to me like they could use some BIM-management (tools). I did a quick google and for the current problems facing our project Autocad 360 (docs) looks like the right fit.

Here's the problem: with my limited experience with CAD-programs, the current project, or general management, I am afraid to step up to my bosses and tell them; "Hey, you're doing it all wrong, you need this and this tool and you should do that and that in such a way."

So here's the question: How do I educate myself (in my spare time) to get to a level where I could step up to my bosses (yes, plural ) with confidence and concrete solutions?

I am sorry if this is not the right sub-forum; please direct me in such case.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Aspiring BIM manager/consultant looking for pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
    Hi,

Quick introduction: I am currently working for a big construction firm on a project installing fiber-optic cables for an internet provider. At the moment I am a measly street surveyor doing basic scrub-work. I have studied architecture for 3 years but did not get my degree due to "circumstances", I am 26 yrs old. After working in this company for a short while and seeing the problems they are faced with, I see an opportunity: what they need is a way to synchronize the various data files, deadlines/planning, issues, CAD-plans etc. for all the "players", both in the office and on the field.

Sounds to me like they could use some BIM-management (tools). I did a quick google and for the current problems facing our project Autocad 360 (docs) looks like the right fit.

Here's the problem: with my limited experience with CAD-programs, the current project, or general management, I am afraid to step up to my bosses and tell them; "Hey, you're doing it all wrong, you need this and this tool and you should do that and that in such a way."

So here's the question: How do I educate myself (in my spare time) to get to a level where I could step up to my bosses (yes, plural ) with confidence and concrete solutions?

I'd say this is probably fine. Perhaps the Training forum, but, as BIM Management really encompasses processes more than products, this is a good home for a question like this.

You know, when people ask me about getting up to speed with AutoCAD or Revit or whatever, I usually point them to a book or a set of training videos. That's probably not going to be as feasible with something like one of these online services.
    They aren't as well documented, and they're rebranded so often and so quickly, even if there is training material out there, you might not be able to find it if you don't know the last thing it was called?

Best best it probably 1 sign up and try to use it, with samples that might emulate your desired data flow. Read the Autodesk knowledgebase associated with it. Set up Google email alerts with the product name as your search term, so any blogs, or youtube videos or article mentions bubble up to you without too much effort.

(and, most importantly, document what you know as you go along... you'll benefit from this for a variety of reasons.)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Interested in this post as well.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
    Hi,

To add to Melanie's response, you may want to look at this Autodesk Knowledge Network article on BIM 360 Docs. The article itself does not go into great depth, but it does contain a link to a series of videos that covers the basics of using BIM 360 Docs.

A Google search for autodesk bim 360 docs also uncovered two links to YouTube videos:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Y9CsNvcBXw0QLA
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...cY3snkLLPDPsyg
    I have not looked an any of those videos, so I cannot speak to the quality of the content, but they may be worth a look.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lynda.com has a great series of videos and there are multiple books and blogs that can help.

That being stated, you need to determine what the problems are and then solve them... one...at...a....time. Fully, definitively, be ready to take responsibility for them. You will find that that's where most BIM/CAD managers today started. There was a problem and they took it upon themselves to fix it, intelligently, and getting their co-workers to buy in to the solution. In time they just inherited the role because they were the person in the office that was good at it. That's where careers begin, solving one problem at a time.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Lynda.com has a great series of videos and there are multiple books and blogs that can help.

That being stated, you need to determine what the problems are and then solve them... one...at...a....time. Fully, definitively, be ready to take responsibility for them. You will find that that's where most BIM/CAD managers today started. There was a problem and they took it upon themselves to fix it, intelligently, and getting their co-workers to buy in to the solution. In time they just inherited the role because they were the person in the office that was good at it. That's where careers begin, solving one problem at a time.
    I agree with Lynda.com being a great site to check out. I would also like to caution you to not try and teach yourself Revit without seeking out solid well rated videos and write-ups. As a BIM Manager myself, I'm struggling with employees who opened up Revit and thought it was like AutoCAD. A BIM Manager is someone who can work with different people at different skills and make a project work anyway. The best advise I have used is to always document what you are doing, and create write-ups for others to follow. Above all though is experience.