Thread: "Visual" Space tag?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default "Visual" Space tag?

Is it possible to add a symbol to a space tag that would only be visible in certain conditions?

For example, I am creating combined strategy drawings and would like to show coloured dots in each room to indicate whether or not they require door access, pa system, cctv etc.

It's too soon in the design process to actual show the individual items, and I can't use colour fill as some rooms will contain all of these.

I was going to do this as a space tag that picks up values assigned to the space using yes/no parameters, but the design engineer "doesn't like text on drawings". That was the only way I could think of to combine these on one drawing. Anyone got any better ideas?

Many Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Visual" Space tag?

Kristy,

The short answer to your question is yes, it is possible.

The long answer is yes, but it will be a lot of time to set up a tag family for such a single use annotation object.

Since you said that your design engineer does not like text on drawings this will complicate things a bit. Here is how i would do it, if i was making the space tag;

Open your space tag family, and create an Instance Parameter for every type of data you wish to display. Create these with General, Yes/No, Graphics for the Parameter dialog. I would recommend using shared parameters so that you can recreate this with any other kind of tag you may need in the future if it is successful for y'all. Then create a Generic Annotation family for each Instance Parameter created. In each Generic Annotation family, have a circle, square, triangle, diamond, blob, whatever kind of shape you want to display above or below the Space Tag. At this point you need to decide if you want to do a Region Fill, or color-coordinated shapes (color would be the clearest to interpret, but only if being viewed on a color PDF or on Revit itself, gray scale would be undesirable for color objects). Once you have settled on an Annotation style and made them, load them into you Space Tag family. Constrain them to the Generic Annotations using the visibility settings. Now load the tag into your project and test it out.

Be prepared to have to tweak your tag a few dozen times to make it look just like you want it to.

If you want to go a step further, after you have made your Space Tag. Make a schedule for Spaces, and include the following columns;
    • -Space Number
    • -Space Name
    • -A column for each graphics parameter you created for your Space Tag.

Sort/Order the list by Space Number so that your spaces will always be in the proper order, and of course add any more columns you wish that may help you out. This schedule will give you a large table where you can control the visibility of the space tag annotations. All the tag parameters should display in check mark boxes if the Yes/No parameters were used.

Hope this helps!