Thread: MAKE LINETYPE

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default MAKE LINETYPE

I created a custom linetype using the mkltype command from the express tools. it consists of a line 15' long, a space of 15' and a line 0.5 feet long.

when i selected the start point for the line i picked the beginning of the first 15' line and the end of the 0.5' line.

that all seemed fine when i used the linetype on a line except it has a point (grip) before the start of the line and after the end of the last line. the distance varies according to the
    length of the entire line.

and when i turn it into a polyline and give it a width, that point really is visible.
    any ideas?

here is the code that it created.

*CL,HWY CENTERLINE
    A,5,-14.75,.5,-14.75

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MAKE LINETYPE

Don't think you posted the right Linetype Definition as it starts with a line 5 in length and doesn't reference a shape.

Try changing the Alignment Field from A to S (undocumented, but was the original Standard) and reloading the Linetype.

This linetype of mine starts with a line 0 in length, followed with a space 30 in length.

*STRIPE10-30,Stripe (10-30) __ __ __ __ __ __ __
    S,0,-30.0,10.0

No matter the lineweight the start point isn't visible unless you select it and see the grip.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Don't think you posted the right Linetype Definition as it starts with a line 5 in length and doesn't reference a shape.

Try changing the Alignment Field from A to S (undocumented, but was the original Standard) and reloading the Linetype.

This linetype of mine starts with a line 0 in length, followed with a space 30 in length.

*STRIPE10-30,Stripe (10-30) __ __ __ __ __ __ __
    S,0,-30.0,10.0

No matter the lineweight the start point isn't visible unless you select it and see the grip.
    I guess i don't understand how the coding works. i copied your linetype and used it in a dwg. there's a grip at the beginning of the line and then space and then a line.
    however, if you draw a circle at 30' radius from the the beginning of the line, and then offset the circle 10', neither circle falls exactly at the beginning or end of the line no
    matter how short or long you make the line.

what i'm trying to accomplish is making linetypes for local specific highway striping that has specific dimensions. not sure what i need is even possible using linetypes. i may just
    have to stick to drawing individual segments that make up the striping.

thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD linetypes are ok for symbolic reperesentation -- sucky, but workable usually.

If you need a 'real' representation of something that's supposed to be built, then linetypes are NOT a good choice. Might try googling for an add-on that specifically addresses marking and signage -- of use a non-plotting base line and an associative array

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    AutoCAD linetypes are ok for symbolic reperesentation -- sucky, but workable usually.

If you need a 'real' representation of something that's supposed to be built, then linetypes are NOT a good choice. Might try googling for an add-on that specifically addresses marking and signage -- of use a non-plotting base line and an associative array
    Thanks cadtag. kinda what i thought would be the case. but an associative array may be the way to go. Not sure what a "non-plotting base line" is.

Login to Give a bone

draw a pline for the center of you striping the full length, and put it on a layer set to non-plot