Thread: Exporting families with shared parameters

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Exporting families with shared parameters

We have a Revit project (Lets call it Project A) with loads of families containing Shared Parameters with the SP file called 'Project A_SP'. Now I want to migrate all of the families from Project A to a new project template using the Right click>Save option on the Families tab in the project browser. My problem is with the naming of the SP file. Now I don't want to point the shared parameter file of the template to this file as it is specific to Project A, however I don't mind the families in the template having the same parameters. How do I transfer all the families including shared parameters from Project A to the template file but using a more generic SP file name such as 'Template_SP'? Hope my question is clear.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting families with shared parameters

Well, I hope this helps some. Revit doesn't really care about the name of the container, the Shared Parameter file itself. Good news, right? All it knows is the ID of each Shared Parameter (it also doesn't matter what the name of the Parameter is, under the hood, you can have eight different "Height" parameters, but their ID's will make them unique, and each parameter has a unique ID [GUID]). Essentially, you can copy that Shared Parameter text file to your network and rename it, and that's fine. To get the parameters themselves into your Template, you'll need to use Transfer Project Standards with both Project A and your Template open in the same session of Revit. Then, I would recommend editing the location of your Shared Parameters text file to be to the new file you created by copying the one from Project A over and renaming it, that way, should more parameters be needed in your Template, your editing from the same resource file.