See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Reference file Layers

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Reference file Layers

Is there a way to make layers dynamic to the the reference file they derive from.

In other words, 2 months after my base file has been updated many times with many new layers and also deleted layers that are obsolete to the file its referenced to.

Sure wish that was smart as opposed to detaching and reattaching then managing the layer state back to what it was.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reference file Layers

Do you mean that you want layers added to child file "B" to be frozen in Parent file "A", even though B was Xref'ed into A months ago?

The way to do that is (1) use standard template files with all of the layers you'll need, and (2) freeze all layers in "B" (except those in use) - before Xref'ing B into A.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Do you mean that you want layers added to child file "B" to be frozen in Parent file "A", even though B was Xref'ed into A months ago?

The way to do that is (1) use standard template files with all of the layers you'll need, and (2) freeze all layers in "B" (except those in use) - before Xref'ing B into A.
    Yes if that's what @tim_newsome means, that is a good approach.

Also to add to that, I do this on occasion where the base files are already established, even with the predetermined layers already controlled,
    If I need to add a new layer to the base that needs to show up on a few sheets but not all, I freeze the new layers in the base after I am done, reload the xrefs in the sheets I need to see those layers and thaw them.
    That way all the other sheets won't "see" the new layers.. like it never happened.

Also our standard it to have visretain = 1 for all drawings.
    Sometimes I need to set it to 0 and reload the xref if I want to reset the layers to the base file, (and set it back to 1 and save)

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps I am way off, but I interpret Tim's post to mean 'how does one go about making an existing drawing's layers (created months ago from DWT) now adhere the the revised DWT?' (not an XREF).

For that, you'd either need to setup STANDARDS command, implement custom code to sync same, or manually INSERT+EXPLODE (or copy+paste) your older drawing into a new drawing so that the layers adapt to new settings/states.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Actually all great replies.

Let me mention one example that might draw even more specific solution.

Base file has layer "SEC-Silt Fence". My sheet Xref layer is "Base|SEC-Silt Fence".

Municipality dictates 2 stages of SEC.

I change "SEC-Silt Fence" to "SEC-Silt Fence Ph1" and add "SEC-Silt Fence Ph2".

What would be the best solution for my sheet file not to purge the original "SEC-Silt Fence" layer?

Login to Give a bone

I was wrong. *kicks dirt*

Quote Originally Posted by tim_newsome View Post
    What would be the best solution for my sheet file not to purge the original "SEC-Silt Fence" layer?
    To not delete the "Base|SEC-Silt Fence" layer, you'd need to allow it to continue to exist within your XREF... Meaning even if you break it out into two new layers "SEC-Silt Fence Ph1" and "SEC-Silt Fence Ph2", you'd need to create new layers and not rename "SEC-Silt Fence", so your sheet would then have all three as "Base|SEC-Silt Fence", "Base|SEC-Silt Fence Ph1", and "Base|SEC-Silt Fence Ph2", no?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000