See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Editing multiple Text entities (not MText)

Login to Give a bone

Default Editing multiple Text entities (not MText)

I am looking for a way to edit multiple simple text entries so that I select them all and then edit them in order, instead of picking the text, editing it, pressing okay and then moving onto the next. I want to be able to select a whole bunch and then cycle through them. I can't use find and replace because I'm replacing each entry with different text.

I've tried various lsp routines I've found on the internet, and none of them works.

I found that I could use CHANGE, and then press enter until I got to the 'enter new text' option, and although that allows me to select as many as I want, I have to keep pressing enter until I get the option I want - I may as well just use dedit. I've tried the 'multiple mode' in dedit, and that just does nothing, it still only allows me to select one at a time. So I thought I'd write a macro using CHANGE. That works for the first selection, but for the others I've selected I have to keep pressing enter to get the option. I've tried everything I could think of without success. Does anyone know how I can make it find the correct change option in the macro for all of the objects selected? This is the macro I wrote:

^C^C_.select;\_.change previous;;;;;;; (the number of 'enter's is the number required to get to the 'enter new text' option). I've tried a "*" at the beginning, a "\" at the end, a "\;;;;;;" at the end, and nothing works.

What am I doing wrong? Or does anyone know of a lsp routine? (Not tedit.lsp, it requires something called ddedit which causes my computer to have a hissy fit - it says unknown command, and then makes all inputs on the command line go invisible, forcing me to close and restart autocad.)

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Editing multiple Text entities (not MText)

I just double-click on each dtext to edit them, then simply hit [Enter] when I'm done.
    I have Mode set to Multiple which is the default setting if that helps.

Not sure how that could be any easier, maybe if we understood what you're trying to do we could offer more suggestions. There's lisp out there for adding or modifying sequential numbering as well as adding prefixes and suffixes for example.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by anne-kzn View Post
    I am looking for a way to edit multiple simple text entries so that I select them all and then edit them in order, instead of picking the text, editing it, pressing okay and then moving onto the next. I want to be able to select a whole bunch and then cycle through them. I can't use find and replace because I'm replacing each entry with different text.

Or does anyone know of a lsp routine? (Not tedit.lsp, it requires something called ddedit which causes my computer to have a hissy fit - it says unknown command, and then makes all inputs on the command line go invisible, forcing me to close and restart autocad.)
    ddedit command has been replaced with textedit you need an updated version.
    Current version of tedit.lsp which may be what you're looking for: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autoc...5527233#M74066

Login to Give a bone

Okay - say you've got a list of numbers on an Index of detail drawings (it needs to be a drawing - I could probably use excel or word, or something, but it is a drawing). You need to add 12 (or whatever) more drawings. The easiest way is to copy the text from a previous line, 12 (or whatever) times. You then go back and edit them. You select them all and edit 1, enter, 2 enter, 3 enter, etc, using the keyboard only. Now you have to select, edit, enter and then select again. It doesn't sound like much, but you have to alternate between the keyboard and the mouse, over and over. If they are complicated numbers, or a variety of text, it's easy to get confused, believe me. Also, you don't have to keep finding them, if they are all over the drawing - you select them in order, and so editing them is easy. Express tools has sequential numbering, but it's not always numbers I'm editing.

You used to be able to do that, why can't you any more? I tried your double click, thinking I'd missed something, but I hadn't - I still have to edit the first before selecting the second. So, mouse, keyboard, mouse.

Oh, and thanks for the updated lisp routine - I will go and download it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks so much for the updated tedit - works just like I want it to!

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Glad that worked for you!

You may want to look at Lee Mac's Batch Find & Replace Text lisp which isn't as limited as AutoCAD's Find command.
    http://www.lee-mac.com/bfind.html

It may be able to automate what you're doing.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again - I have downloaded it and will have a look at it tomorrow.