Thread: Customize "Source Block" Dropdown Menu

Login to Give a bone

Default Customize "Source Block" Dropdown Menu

Hello.

We are trying to modify our custom leaders without having to create redundant styles. Right now, if you click on the leader and go to the "Properties" panel, there is a "Source Block" drop down list which has a handful of AutoCad default and the option to have a "User Defined" block.

Is there any way to remove all of the AutoCad default blocks in this list and replace them with our firm's standard three blocks? In other words, is there a background way to populate this list?

Does anyone know where these default Autocad blocks are located? maybe we can add ours in that same location?
    I tried running a search on the computer for one of the block names for (_TagSlot for example) but didn't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Customize "Source Block" Dropdown Menu

Quote Originally Posted by izachariou641975 View Post

We are trying to modify our custom leaders without having to create redundant styles. Right now, if you click on the leader and go to the "Properties" panel, there is a "Source Block" drop down list which has a handful of AutoCad default and the option to have a "User Defined" block.

Is there any way to remove all of the AutoCad default blocks in this list and replace them with our firm's standard three blocks? In other words, is there a background way to populate this list?

Does anyone know where these default Autocad blocks are located? maybe we can add ours in that same location?
    I tried running a search on the computer for one of the block names for (_TagSlot for example) but didn't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    As far as I know, those blocks do not exist until you decide to use one, then they are created on the fly from within the application.
    I also do not know of any way to remove them from the list.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    As far as I know, those blocks do not exist until you decide to use one, then they are created on the fly from within the application.
    I also do not know of any way to remove them from the list.
    That might be why I can't find it, thanks!

Would you happen to know if we can add to the population of a source block list?

Login to Give a bone

Without divulging too much detail, the "source blocks" provided by AutoCAD as defaults are programmatically created when any one of them are selected through the properties palette or through the styles dialog box. These cannot changed or removed because the programming utilized for this functionality is compiled (into binary) by the AutoCAD developers. You cannot edit compiled applications. This applies for the arrowhead blocks as well.

So, "no" you can't add to the list of source blocks.

One way to achieve your goal is to write a LisP routine to change the source Block for you. I won't post code since this is not the AutoLISP Programming forum, but your goal can certainly (and somewhat easily) be achieved with a LisP routine (specifically the VLAX-* functions).

Depending on how geometrically complex your source blocks you could have the LisP programmatically create them which would eliminate the need to look for DWG files containing your three source blocks.

You could also use the ObjectARX API or dotNET API, which are much more powerful, but are also more maintenance.