Thread: Revit text size rounding to one decimal place

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Revit text size rounding to one decimal place

Hey all,
    I thought I was all over the dramas with upgrading from Revit 2016, infact we skipped 2017 to alleviate some of the issues.
    Now running Revit 2018.1.

I was thinking about working around the issues of text getting larger by making a smaller version of each font size, so 2.5mm text would go down to 2.48mm(ish) and look the same. That's when I noticed some really strange rounding behavior that didn't occur in Revit 2016.

At first it seemed the "Text Size" parameter could only manage rounding to 1 decimal place. So 2.40 looked the same as 2.45, then at 2.46 it would jump up to a size of 2.50 (confirmed by changing the size to 2.50 and seeing it not change again)

I thought this was a dumb bug but at least consistent, then I went small, so 1.10 looks the same as 1.19 and only changes at 1.20, then I went big, and strangely 6.9 looks the same as 7.0 and only changes size at 6.8!

The font I'm using is Arial Narrow, I guess its the same across the board. I also guess this has something to do with metric feet and some weird 1/32nd type text sizes!

Autodesk please sort it out asap.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit text size rounding to one decimal place

While I applaud your approach to overcome the increased text size, keep in mind that the upgrade causes changes to spacing in addition to size. Ideate did a pretty good job of graphically explaining the change on their blog HERE. Revit uses TrueType Fonts, based on the TTF files loaded into Windows. The displayed size of each TTF is controlled by the Font Hinting within the TTF itself. So, there are potential limits to how granular size changes will occur using each TTF is, depending on the Hinting in each.

I would ask after your goal in changing the font sizes on such a granular level when in construction documents we're usually aiming to maintain a standard text size. Yes, Revit and Imperial Font Sizes don't align perfectly. For example, 3/32" Imperial has no direct Metric dimension, the closest would be either 2.0mm or 2.5mm, which equate to Windows Font Size 8 and 9.5, respectively, meaning that in Metric, there is no Font Size 9 equivalent. Since most Windows programs will not allow you to use a Font Size between the whole numbers or half numbers (7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, etc.), it stands to reason that you're struggling against something that is inherent to Windows, and therefore inherent to Revit.