Thread: Rotate Annotation Symbol in Revit Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Rotate Annotation Symbol in Revit Family

I have a security camera family with a 3d model and a generic annotation. The generic annotation family is nested into the camera family. I want to be able to type in a rotation parameter for the annotation only - that will not change the hosting location of the 3d model.

I drew a reference line in the annotation family. I created an angular dimension between the reference line and the reference plane. I then created a parameter from the angular dimension. How do I align the annotation symbol (which is made up of multiple symbol lines) to the annotation angle?

Should I be doing this inside the nested family or in the host family?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rotate Annotation Symbol in Revit Family

I think you're technically on the right track, except that Annotations and other Component Families inherently have different behaviors once inserted into your project. Annotations are designed to be at the same size at all times (text is always, for example, 1/8"), regardless of the scale of the View. But, components are going to display relative to the scale of the View itself. Therefore, you're up against two objects that cannot be made relative to each other. I think you're onto something by doing the control in the Annotation Family itself.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rotate Annotation Symbol in Revit Family

For the nested annotation family you should add a reference line (not plane) into the annotation family itself, once you insert it into the host family you need to associate the family with the vertical plane of the reference line you are moving with the angle parameter and lock the family to this plane. Next you can use the end point of the nested family reference line to align and lock it to the end point of the reference line in the host family.

Edit: It seems like reference lines do not work the same in generic annotations. You need to nest the annotation into a generic model family and place it at the origin. then add a reference line from the origin along the centerline of the annotation. then nest this family into your host family, add an angular dimension from reference plane to the reference line in the nested family and then align the end point of the nested reference line to the origin planes of the host family. I attached my sample family.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marmiketin; 2017-09-26 at 01:52 PM.