Thread: HP PageWide XL 8000 - Printing Issues

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default HP PageWide XL 8000 - Printing Issues

This has been going on for several months and I need to find a solution. This issue has been constantly brought up with the CAD manager with no solution.

The problem is when I go to print or even use the print preview option I get a message that says The selected layout has an invalid media configuration.

The solution to that has been in the plot dialogue box, click on Properties next to the printer name, click on Custom Properties, Then Click OK (do not change anything, just click OK), then click OK again. Up pops up the Changes to a Printer Configuration File, click OK to assign to current plot only and then the drawing will print. And it does.

I have to do that every time I need to print.

Does anyone have a solution so that I can print normal in CAD?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: HP PageWide XL 8000 - Printing Issues

Save the 'custom' printer configuration pc3 file and compare it to the current one to get some idea of what it might be seeing as invalid in the current pc3 file?

Is it just you or are others having the same issue?

How do you like that printer? We were hoping to get one but getting it into the building and to the 2nd floor is difficult. The unit weighs 1054 lbs. and the stairway turns 180 half way up. It would require a window on the 2nd floor to be temporarily removed and the unit lifted in.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MMccall View Post
    Save the 'custom' printer configuration pc3 file and compare it to the current one to get some idea of what it might be seeing as invalid in the current pc3 file?

Is it just you or are others having the same issue?

How do you like that printer? We were hoping to get one but getting it into the building and to the 2nd floor is difficult. The unit weighs 1054 lbs. and the stairway turns 180 half way up. It would require a window on the 2nd floor to be temporarily removed and the unit lifted in.
    This is a company wide issue. Just got tired of asking it to be fixed so I am taking on the project to get it done. Not my job but cant seem to get any urgency in trying to get this resolved.

The only thing I like about it personally is it plots really fast and I can add color to my plans which makes them more readable.

The biggest issue I have is that it doesn't really screen your drawings but applies different hues of grey. The color saturation is too heavy. I adjust my layers to print out correctly by adding a transparency. The thing is that when I print using DWG to PDF, my drawing looks exactly how I want it to look. When I print directly it doesn't, almost night and day. (I was told they use different drivers which is why they look different, never had issues in the past at other firms).

My recommendation would be to look into the OCE series, they teamed up with Cannon to produce a similar machine. (I like Cannon, I like OCE so my opinion is extremely bias here). Compare the two and see what works right for your firm.

Anyway, Its definitely an upgrade to a the old KIP series we had (which nothing looked ever good printed with that).

Login to Give a bone

Once you get it to preview correctly, are you saving the changes to the page setup? That might explain why you have to repeat the process.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Once you get it to preview correctly, are you saving the changes to the page setup? That might explain why you have to repeat the process.
    I have, but have been told not to do that and the new PC3 file that was created is removed. Only explanation given to me is to not touch the PC3 file.

Login to Give a bone

When I go into the custom settings, I do not actually make any changes. I just click OK.

The other weird thing is that sometimes it will print fine or I can preview fine without having to make any changes.

Login to Give a bone

If its a company wide issue and it is affecting productivity (or just plain annoying), the manager should address the issue.

I've been trying to recreate the issue. I don't have that printer so I was trying to make it happen using our printer and pc3 file. (Kip 7700) I tried to mis-match the page setup and pc3 file by making a change to the pc3 during a page setup, saving over the current pc3, then swapping the original pc3 back in place of the modified one. All I got was the printer defaulting to None and no error message. It may be a printer specific thing that I can't reproduce.

Edit your page setup(s), choose a different printer, save it, then edit it back to the XL 8000 ???

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    I have, but have been told not to do that and the new PC3 file that was created is removed. Only explanation given to me is to not touch the PC3 file.
    The page setup and the PC3 file are independent from each other.
    The page setup is saved in the layout, in the drawing.
    The PC3 file is external and saved on the local drive or a server share.
    There is probably also a PMP file, that goes with the PC3, and it stores things like custom paper sizes.
    If you do not have WRITE ACCESS to the PC3 and PMP, you can't add paper sizes or make other changes, so your changes never get saved, and you're having to repeat your actions each time.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |