See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Countour label text mask behaves oddly in xref

Login to Give a bone

Default Countour label text mask behaves oddly in xref

I created a surface and added contour labels. Everything looks the way I want it to in Civil 3d. I then xrefed the surface into another drawing that my coworker can work on in regular AutoCAD. However, in the new drawing, the text mask behind the contour labels displays as a transparent rectangle, so there's a box around the text and the contour lines can be seen behind it. Any way to fix this? I can't figure it out.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Countour label text mask behaves oddly in xref

Sharing the drawing is probably going to be the most efficient if you can or at least screenshots. I just tried doing this on one of my projects and I don't have this issue so I can't replicate it.

Otherwise, starting points would be to review the contour label components. I'd wager it could be a draw order issue of some sort or layering. If it's drawing a border around it then it should be because you have the border component turned on in the label.

Have you tried printing to see how it looks? Regenning? Sometimes things look bad before you regen and they look fine (Ever seen a circle look like hexagon?)

Edit: Based on your description is this what you're seeing in the attached? You may just need to go into the original drawing, select a contour label, select similar, and then bring to front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgrande26 View Post
    I created a surface and added contour labels. Everything looks the way I want it to in Civil 3d. I then xrefed the surface into another drawing that my coworker can work on in regular AutoCAD. However, in the new drawing, the text mask behind the contour labels displays as a transparent rectangle, so there's a box around the text and the contour lines can be seen behind it. Any way to fix this? I can't figure it out.
    OK several things here if he is using regular Autocad vs Civil3D does he have object enablers installed, di you export the dwg to plain objects no intelligent data

Login to Give a bone

I have object enablers installed on my machine and I'm experiencing the same issue. See the attached screenshot.screenshot.jpg AutoCAD on the left, Civil 3D on the right.

Login to Give a bone

HI
    I'm not sure my only thought would be that if explode contour labels the mask sometimes (depending on settings) becomes a solid behind the text. this solid should be the color of the background of the the computer that it was created on. It will leave a line that behind text. Try changing your background color to something light and see if there is anything there. Other than that I'm not sure.

Login to Give a bone

I have object enablers installed on my machine and I'm experiencing the same issue. See the attached screenshot.screenshot.jpg AutoCAD on the left, Civil 3D on the right.
    I missed the part where it was an issue between C3D and regular CAD.

I have a feeling there isn't going to be much you can do here. You're working with C3D objects and then opening it in a non-C3D platform. That it would have problems displaying properly doesn't surprise me, but I do not have any experience in this so I could be wrong.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

go into your surface drawing.
    click on a label.
    in the properties box, 2nd down in labels is 'masking'
    change to 'Contour line only'
    save file and reload xref.
    Attached Images Attached Images