Thread: Wall Crack Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall Crack Family

I see a lot of cracked masonry and concrete and it would be nice to have a wall (or floor) hosted family to represent a crack that could be scheduled, tagged, and itemized for repair work.
    I tried unsuccessfully to set this up a few years ago (rvt2012) and am now revisiting, see attached.
    Would like to be able to sketch a crack, or have some ability to modify rather than just adding segments.
    Would be nice to have schedule values too (parameters?), like length, width, depth, age, activity, etc.

Does anybody have any interest in such an animal?

Thanks,
    WW
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Crack Family

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    I see a lot of cracked masonry and concrete and it would be nice to have a wall (or floor) hosted family to represent a crack that could be scheduled, tagged, and itemized for repair work.
    I tried unsuccessfully to set this up a few years ago (rvt2012) and am now revisiting, see attached.
    Would like to be able to sketch a crack, or have some ability to modify rather than just adding segments.
    Would be nice to have schedule values too (parameters?), like length, width, depth, age, activity, etc.

Does anybody have any interest in such an animal?

Thanks,
    WW
    To my knowledge this is the first time I have ever seen anyone ask about doing wall repairs in Revit. Not saying it can't be done, I think just the general thinking is it is easier to do in AutoCAD. That being said, I would be tempted into looking into Adaptive Components for the cracks. Problem is to figure out how many points a family would need. 3? 4? More?

I would be tempted to maybe use a structural connection category for the family. since there are no wall categories i would for sure want to stay away from a Generic Model category.

As for the ability to add to a sketch my only suggestion would be to add your suggestion/recommendation to the Revit Ideas forums and see if people will "up" vote it.

Good luck and curious to see what you come up with.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the ideas.
    For now I am using keynotes, with a custom text data file (I like to use the Uniformat rather than masterspec outline), and adding a short, model line, placehoder, to the wall elevation for the tag.

Login to Give a bone

Why not make a wall hosted line based void family. Then you can keynote, Schedule and locate what needs to be done.