See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AutoCAD 2011 add-on upgrade to 2017

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2011 add-on upgrade to 2017

Hello all.

I am greener than green when it comes to programming but I need to start investigating and understanding an issue I have.

Way back in 2012 I worked with a programmer to design and implement an AutoCAD add-on to create an add-on program for AutoCAD to measure and tabulate reinforcement tonnages. At the time we had the choice of which version of CAD to use and I chose accordingly. I was advised at the time the program is not future proof and that changes with Microsoft and Autodesk may mean that the add-on would not work on future releases.

Now our office is upgrading to AutoCAD 2017 and I would like the add-on to be upgraded so it will work. This part of my company uses only AutoCAD (No Revit) so we must stick with old faithful.

Back to my original statement that I do not know much about programing so I am after a bit of guidance on what we can do.

The add-on program uses a series of VB files which were somehow then turned into a DLL file which we use the command netload to initialise. Now I do understand there is NET Framework to contend with but.....

What would be the process of getting this program to work on AutoCAD 2017 and how different is the code to make it happen?

I appreciate any help I can get

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2011 add-on upgrade to 2017

Welcome to the universe that is software development.

If you have the .VB files, it sounds like you have the source code needed to ultimately port your application to newer .NET Framework. If you don't have the source code, you're going to need to obtain it from the original developer, to avoid having to roll your own new application moving forward.

The process of converting source code files into a resource library (.DLL) for use within AutoCAD as a plug-in (as opposed to a standalone application [.EXE] outside of AutoCAD), is called compiling.

Once you have the source code (if you don't already as part of your original agreement)... Simply create a new Visual Studio Solution (.SLN) and Project (.VBPROJ for VB, .CSPROJ for C#) that targets .NET 4.5, add your source code files to the Project, ensure your References are mapped to the 2017 ObjectARX SDK, and then let Visual Studio's Intellisense inform you as to what needs changing due to any Autodesk Namespace changes in 2017 version (due to the advent of Core Console, etc).

That should help get you going.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the helpful information.

Yep I have the source code.

Which version of Visual Studio should I use? IDE or Code?

Will this program be able to compile the files into a DLL?

Thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

You're welcome; sounds like you're good to go, to start debugging (shortly).

I use Visual Studio 2015 Community, as AutoCAD 2018 products require .NET 4.6... You want VS IDE, and not VS Code.

Yes, Visual Studio can compile any .NET Language (i.e., C#, F#, VB, etc.).

Once you've taken care of any Namespace or Class (Type) changes in your code's Reference dependencies, you might consider using an Autoloader .bundle to easily deploy your resultant app.

For reference:

Autodesk Autoloader White Paper

Autoloader Components Element Reference

As example, even when debugging my apps, I set the build path to my app's .bundle, so that it (the Autoloader mechanism) handles loading my plug-in (the DLL) for me, I just launch acad.exe with the applicable target path and everything is ready to test at launch. This also makes it really easy to deploy the app on multiple workstations, where I use NETLOGON script to update user copies as they log into Windows.

Anywho, this my $0.02, please take from this what you like.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000