Thread: Fatal Error Customizing 2018 C3D - overwriteing cuix files

Login to Give a bone

Default Fatal Error Customizing 2018 C3D - overwriteing cuix files

I am working on customizing 2018 C3D. I am proceeding with setup of paths, items in the preferences area and some basic menu items.

In the past, I have modified the cui or cuix (minor things that most user like or don’t like) by adding a few toolbars most users like, turning off / on items in the interface and saving and renaming the workspaces with their name. I keep the original workspaces just turn them off. I have had users “customize” them and need to bring back the originals. This makes it easy.

When I load a pc up, I copy the edited cui or cuix files into the user’s folder. Make a few edits with the name and I am done with that portion of the setup.

My issue is I copied the edited cuix’s from 2018 C3D – called c3d.cuix and acad.cuix to save them for future use. I then put the original unedited cuix files back and tested a script to copy the customized ones in as I do at load time. After I do this, the menu system won’t open – I get a fatal error – unhandled access violation. I try to put the edited ones back, the non-edited ones back and when I open I get the same error. I can’t seem to figure out why.

I already reloaded once and now I am getting the same error after I got to this point. Am I missing something? Are there other files to copy with the cuix files?

image1.png
    image2.png

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fatal Error Customizing 2018 C3D - overwriteing cuix files

I've seen image1 before myself years ago and there's no easy solution, have you tried both Restore and Reset by right-clicking the CUIX files in the CUI?
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-cui-file.html
    I keep multiple backups on the network and in DropBox as well as Ctrl+dragging to create C3D Copy.cuix files before each modification. While a vast improvement over the MNU files CUI customization doesn't forgive any mistakes.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for responding. No, I didn't try to restore that way. I reinstalled the software so it is working now but my problem is not solved.

I overwrote the files manually - After saving them with settings I wanted to use after install for users. I have done this in the past it worked just fine. I am setting basic things in the profile, importing and then I add some things that are saved in the CUIX (like autosave of the settings). I use a script to copy them to the file and to open the software to import the profile.

When I overwrote the CUIX is when the software would not run and I got the error.

Is there a way to copy back the CUIX file after setting them up they way you want to? Am I missing a file to copy with it?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You're overwriting with a bad CUIX, redoing the same thing isn't going to help. Using Workspaces you can add tabs from a separate custom CUIX file to have your C3D and custom tabs on the ribbon at the same time. The only customizing I'd recommend to the C3D.CUIX file is transferring shortcut menus and modifying Contextual Tab States.

Hopefully you can find a working version of your customized CUIX file. Have you checked for one on other PC's?

Login to Give a bone

I am not sure I am coping a corrupt cuix. Before I edited it, I saved the original right after loading - so this one is the one that comes with C3D 2018. Then I edited it and saved the edited one too, different folder. Then I tested my script by placing the original one back and coping the edited one. I had the issue. Then I copied the original one back manually and STILL had the issue. Twice I did this to confirm this caused it. So even the one I did not edit had an error at this point - software would not open ?? Had to uninstall and reinstall.

So that is why I ask is there other files in 2018 that need to be copied too? is there something else I am missing? I am not sure how I could have corrupted the original cuix. And the settings I did were not menu items, custom ribbons or anything complicated in the least.

Thanks for responding.