Thread: transparent filled regions in detail items

Login to Give a bone

Default transparent filled regions in detail items

Is this possible to achieve? I created a generic detail item with a transparent background and solid fill filled region, but when I load it into the project it appears solid. I have read about various issues dealing with transparent/opaque filled regions, but can't find anything on this specific example. Any help would be much appreciated.

Type parameters:

What it looks like in Family editor (the diagonal line is just for reference to show transparency):

What it looks like when loaded into Project:
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI President Kimberly Fuhrman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: transparent filled regions in detail items

If you click on the fill, right-click and "Override Graphics in View" - By Element, you can override the transparency for the fill pattern. The transparency that you are showing in the Type Pattern is the "background" of the pattern, not the pattern itself. For example, if it was a striped pattern, the spaces between the lines would be either opaque or transparent. It really doesn't affect solid fills. Hope that helps!

VG.PNG.
    It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C, Assoc. AIA

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: transparent filled regions in detail items

Kimberly,

Thanks for the reply, however, that doesn't produce the effect I want. In the image below, the tree on the left is the original Detail Item, the blue outlines in the middle are what happens when Surface Patterns are Overridden to 100%, and the tree on the right is the look I am trying to achieve:

Capture.PNG

The correct-looking one is made with Filled Regions in the Project, set to Solid Fill but with a Transparent background, allowing the linework below to show through while maintaining color:

Capture2.PNG

These are the same properties that the Filled Regions have in the Detail Item, however once loaded in they go opaque. I know I could get close by overriding to 50% opacity or something, however then all the linework below would also be 50% and the colors would be desaturated.

What we have settled on doing is creating Detail Groups in the Project with the correct-looking FRs, positioning them appropriately across our site plan, and then grouping the whole layout to place in multiple views (we are presenting phased & different scaled site plans and need the trees to appear in the same place across the multiple views). But that seems "dumb". Our original goal was to nest that Detail Item in a 3d Entourage tree family, and link its radius with the tree height, so that the 3d object could do multiple duty - be in the correct spots in 3d views (for renderings), and in multiple graphic plans. I'm becoming resigned to that not being possible, however :/.