Thread: PSD not comming with blocks

Login to Give a bone

Default PSD not comming with blocks

I have set up "styles drawings" for my electrical, plumbing and appliances blocks. Some of the blocks are MV and some standard blocks. I have attached Property set definitions to them so I can schedule them in my drawings. I did block the MV blocks after attaching the PSD, should I not do that? I am having issues with the electrical and appliances blocks where the PSD is not attached when I insert them into my drawings. The plumbing blocks seem to all working perfectly. Do I treat the blocks differently than the MV blocks? Does it matter if I attach the PSD through the style manager than on the Extended Data tab on the properties palette? I have used PSD's forever, i am just stumped on this one.Thank you in advance for your assistance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: PSD not comming with blocks

Style-based property sets can be attached to Styles/Definitions, and will come along for the ride when you use a tool palette tool or the Styles Browser to bring them into your drawing. You can only attach Style-based Property Sets to AutoCAD Architecture Styles/Definitions, however, not vanilla AutoCAD objects, like Block Definitions. Object-based property sets can be attached to AutoCAD Architecture objects or AutoCAD objects, but these will not come along for the ride.

If you are going to be tagging the content with a Schedule Tag, you can set up the tag tool to apply object-based property sets when you do the tagging (even if the tag does not display any of the properties in that tag tool). If you are not going to tag the item, you can create a "tag" tool that only adds property sets, without adding a tag.

One workaround I recall someone posting was to create an instance of the item to which one or more object-based property sets were added, then created an AutoCAD Block Definition that included that instance. A block tool was then created, and set to automatically explode the inserted block, leaving you with an instanced of the block contents with the object-based property set attached. For things like AutoCAD Blocks, Multi-View Blocks or other content that would just be inserted "as is", that may work for you. For things that you would want to place dynamically, like Walls, it may be more bother than it is worth. Most things to which I want to add an object-based property set are going to be tagged anyway, so we never developed any content like this.