See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    2004-06
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    16


    Default Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Is there a way for an overhead object (such as a rooflight) to project downwards onto a floorplan with a dashed outline - rather than just being an annotated detail line?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator david_peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    2002-09
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,429


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Add an invisible symbolic line in the z direction so it's cut.
    Then add a dashed symbolic line for the perimeter or the light.
    Dave Peterson
    BIM Coordinator

    Acad - 2016 - Revit 2018 w/ A360 - Navisworks - 3ds 2018 - Ensacpe - Lumion - Win 7 64 - i7-6700K 4.0GHz 32GB DDR4 Ram - Nvidia Quadro K2200
    "The more you know, the less you know, because the more you know you don't know". --M. Lin

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    2004-06
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    16


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Hi David

    I'm afraid I didn't quite understand that, but I found a workaround that does (pretty much) what I need. I turned on the roof as an underlay and then drew a dashed detail over the roof-light outline. I locked the dashed line to the roof-light, and then turned the underlay off. This works even if I move some of the roof-light, but I'd need to manually add/lock the dashed outline for any new roof-lights. What this gives me is a projection of the roof-light position onto the floor below.

    Thanks
    Philip

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    2009-05
    Posts
    6


    1 members found this post helpful.

    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Quote Originally Posted by philipdurban View Post
    Is there a way for an overhead object (such as a rooflight) to project downwards onto a floorplan with a dashed outline - rather than just being an annotated detail line?
    Thanks!
    The best way we've found to do this is also similar to a great way to dash roof overhangs. Turn on underlay to show the roof level, including the skylight. Using the Linework tool (Modify tab, View section), choose Overhead or whatever linetype you'd like, and override the lines you'd like to see (e.g., perimeter of the visible area). Then turn off the underlay. The overridden lines should remain visible. If the skylight moves or changes size, the lines go with it!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    2016-02
    Posts
    2


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Philip, that's one of the workarounds I would have suggested. Another option is to use a plan region (View --> plan views --> plan region). You can draw a box around the area you want to show at a different elevation, and set the view depth to capture items on the roof, (I think you would still need to use your linework tool to set to a hidden line, but you could do that in one click). Lastly, you could edit the family so that the linework is visible on the floor plan (similar to how exit signs work between RCP and plan).

  6. #6
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2005-03
    Posts
    1


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Quote Originally Posted by philipdurban View Post
    Is there a way for an overhead object (such as a rooflight) to project downwards onto a floorplan with a dashed outline - rather than just being an annotated detail line?
    Thanks!
    From a lot of experience over the years and in creating our QARC system for users(Link removed) , there is another way to do this. It is always better to use the model to produce your lines, rather than 'cheat' with detail lines, or use the linework tool. The latter is the accepted methodology presented by trainers, and is quite good, but if you change the model the linework can disintegrate. Try creating another view, and adding it to the sheet. Revit will assist you in aligning the two views. This is ideal for anything overhead, like roof lines. The trick is to make that extra view in wire frame and bring it on to the sheet as a second view. You use Visibility Graphics to override the display of the model - hide everything except the item you need, eg roof, and override the linework to be dotted. You should also turn off patterns. Experiment, and you might be surprised how effective and easy this is. It ensures that your drafting cannot fail, as the view is displaying the model. One thing to watch though - when you do this for a setout sheet, with dimensions, you'll have to insert mini detail lines on the main view in line with the roof lines to produce dimensions for the roof overhang, as you cannot access the roof.
    Hope that helps.
    Peter Latemore
    Last edited by Jmurphy; 2017-10-19 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Removed hyperlink

  7. #7
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2013-02
    Posts
    1


    Thumbs up Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Quote Originally Posted by peter.84812 View Post
    From a lot of experience over the years and in creating our QARC system for users(Link removed) , there is another way to do this. It is always better to use the model to produce your lines, rather than 'cheat' with detail lines, or use the linework tool. The latter is the accepted methodology presented by trainers, and is quite good, but if you change the model the linework can disintegrate. Try creating another view, and adding it to the sheet. Revit will assist you in aligning the two views. This is ideal for anything overhead, like roof lines. The trick is to make that extra view in wire frame and bring it on to the sheet as a second view. You use Visibility Graphics to override the display of the model - hide everything except the item you need, eg roof, and override the linework to be dotted. You should also turn off patterns. Experiment, and you might be surprised how effective and easy this is. It ensures that your drafting cannot fail, as the view is displaying the model. One thing to watch though - when you do this for a setout sheet, with dimensions, you'll have to insert mini detail lines on the main view in line with the roof lines to produce dimensions for the roof overhang, as you cannot access the roof.
    Hope that helps.
    Peter Latemore
    Thanks for your reply, this is the answer i was looking for!!

  8. #8
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2014-02
    Posts
    1


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Or you can you use an underlay on the Plan and then Modify the linework around the Rooflight using the Linework tool (LW)

  9. #9
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2015-03
    Posts
    1


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    A workaround we use a lot is to group detail lines in the upper view, and everytime we modify the elements above, we modify the detail group, which is pasted in the other views.

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    2015-10
    Posts
    52


    Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

    Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Add an invisible symbolic line in the z direction so it's cut.
    Then add a dashed symbolic line for the perimeter or the light.
    The “trick” is that the vertical line needs to be a Model Line..... not a Detail Line.....so it can be recognized and cut by the Cut Plane.

    Mike
    Mike Maloney
    VWDI

Similar Threads

  1. repère (floor plan) vs vue dépendante (floor plan)
    By philippe.gagnon in forum Revit Architecture - L'art et la manière
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2012-12-11, 10:31 PM
  2. Showing an overhead velux on floor plan?
    By herohair in forum Revit Architecture - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-08-12, 04:02 PM
  3. Beam display- floor plan
    By johnf.77896 in forum Revit Architecture - General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-07-11, 08:33 PM
  4. ADT 2007 object display disappears in plan view
    By Sammye in forum ACA General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2007-06-23, 07:33 AM
  5. Beam display- floor plan
    By johnf.77896 in forum Revit Architecture - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2007-02-14, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •