See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

Login to Give a bone

Default Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

Is there a way for an overhead object (such as a rooflight) to project downwards onto a floorplan with a dashed outline - rather than just being an annotated detail line?
    Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

Add an invisible symbolic line in the z direction so it's cut.
    Then add a dashed symbolic line for the perimeter or the light.

Login to Give a bone

Hi David

I'm afraid I didn't quite understand that, but I found a workaround that does (pretty much) what I need. I turned on the roof as an underlay and then drew a dashed detail over the roof-light outline. I locked the dashed line to the roof-light, and then turned the underlay off. This works even if I move some of the roof-light, but I'd need to manually add/lock the dashed outline for any new roof-lights. What this gives me is a projection of the roof-light position onto the floor below.

Thanks
    Philip

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by philipdurban View Post
    Is there a way for an overhead object (such as a rooflight) to project downwards onto a floorplan with a dashed outline - rather than just being an annotated detail line?
    Thanks!
    The best way we've found to do this is also similar to a great way to dash roof overhangs. Turn on underlay to show the roof level, including the skylight. Using the Linework tool (Modify tab, View section), choose Overhead or whatever linetype you'd like, and override the lines you'd like to see (e.g., perimeter of the visible area). Then turn off the underlay. The overridden lines should remain visible. If the skylight moves or changes size, the lines go with it!

Login to Give a bone

Philip, that's one of the workarounds I would have suggested. Another option is to use a plan region (View --> plan views --> plan region). You can draw a box around the area you want to show at a different elevation, and set the view depth to capture items on the roof, (I think you would still need to use your linework tool to set to a hidden line, but you could do that in one click). Lastly, you could edit the family so that the linework is visible on the floor plan (similar to how exit signs work between RCP and plan).

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by philipdurban View Post
    Thanks!
    From a lot of experience over the years and in creating our QARC system for users(Link removed) , there is another way to do this. It is always better to use the model to produce your lines, rather than 'cheat' with detail lines, or use the linework tool. The latter is the accepted methodology presented by trainers, and is quite good, but if you change the model the linework can disintegrate. Try creating another view, and adding it to the sheet. Revit will assist you in aligning the two views. This is ideal for anything overhead, like roof lines. The trick is to make that extra view in wire frame and bring it on to the sheet as a second view. You use Visibility Graphics to override the display of the model - hide everything except the item you need, eg roof, and override the linework to be dotted. You should also turn off patterns. Experiment, and you might be surprised how effective and easy this is. It ensures that your drafting cannot fail, as the view is displaying the model. One thing to watch though - when you do this for a setout sheet, with dimensions, you'll have to insert mini detail lines on the main view in line with the roof lines to produce dimensions for the roof overhang, as you cannot access the roof.
    Hope that helps.
    Peter Latemore
    Last edited by Jmurphy; 2017-10-19 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Removed hyperlink

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Display an overhead object on a floor-plan

Quote Originally Posted by peter.84812 View Post
    From a lot of experience over the years and in creating our QARC system for users(Link removed) , there is another way to do this. It is always better to use the model to produce your lines, rather than 'cheat' with detail lines, or use the linework tool. The latter is the accepted methodology presented by trainers, and is quite good, but if you change the model the linework can disintegrate. Try creating another view, and adding it to the sheet. Revit will assist you in aligning the two views. This is ideal for anything overhead, like roof lines. The trick is to make that extra view in wire frame and bring it on to the sheet as a second view. You use Visibility Graphics to override the display of the model - hide everything except the item you need, eg roof, and override the linework to be dotted. You should also turn off patterns. Experiment, and you might be surprised how effective and easy this is. It ensures that your drafting cannot fail, as the view is displaying the model. One thing to watch though - when you do this for a setout sheet, with dimensions, you'll have to insert mini detail lines on the main view in line with the roof lines to produce dimensions for the roof overhang, as you cannot access the roof.
    Hope that helps.
    Peter Latemore
    Thanks for your reply, this is the answer i was looking for!!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Or you can you use an underlay on the Plan and then Modify the linework around the Rooflight using the Linework tool (LW)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

A workaround we use a lot is to group detail lines in the upper view, and everytime we modify the elements above, we modify the detail group, which is pasted in the other views.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Add an invisible symbolic line in the z direction so it's cut.
    Then add a dashed symbolic line for the perimeter or the light.
    The “trick” is that the vertical line needs to be a Model Line..... not a Detail Line.....so it can be recognized and cut by the Cut Plane.

Mike