Thread: Project setup question (partial demo, structure move, drop, and addition)

Login to Give a bone

Default Project setup question (partial demo, structure move, drop, and addition)

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on setting up/working on a project that consists of a partial demo on an existing structure, moving the remaining structure on the site, lowering it, building a new larger structure and connecting the new structure to the existing structure. Up to this point, prior to the relocation and level change, I was doing OK, with keeping the whole thing in phases for the existing structure, the demo, the "restoration" of the existing structure, and the new construction. However, I feel like the relocation and level change of the existing structure is adding a whole new level of complexity. I know that in order to relocate a structure in Revit, I need to demo the whole thing and rebuild it. Which, I guess, I can track with a relocation phase, as it's not really new construction.

However, should I keep everything in the same file, or separate the existing structure and new construction into separate files and link them?

Thanks.

Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project setup question (partial demo, structure move, drop, and addition)

I would have three files, one for existing/demo/renovation, one for addition, and one for the site which you can link the other files into. I would then do all the drawings for the different portions in their respective files, maybe even set the project up as volumes. Volume 1 is site, Vol 2 is existing/demo/renovation and Vol 3 is addition. Within the site file I would link the existing building in and copy it to create a second instance. Place one instance in the existing location and one in the new location then place the addition link relative to the new location of the existing building.