Thread: Grading Object Slope Control

Wish List Administration

Default Grading Object Slope Control

Summary: Options to better control slope direction of Grading object for Cut and Fill scenarios

Description: Have the option to force slope/grade direction up or down when creating a Grading object slope/grade to surface. A lot of times I might be in a cut situation but i want to still slope down to surface not up and vice versa for fill situations. Entering a negative number for either the Cut or Fill slope/grade would force the slope direction "opposite" direction as the standard slope directions. Example: Enter -10:1 for Cut and 4:1 for fill so it the Grading object would slope down 10:1 when it is below the surface and slope down 4:1 when it is above the surface.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Grading

Submitted By: kyheulon on 10/26/2017

Default Re: Grading Object Slope Control

A new “Grading Criteria Set” can accomplish what you are asking for. Open up the “Grading Creation Tools”, select “Create New” from the down arrow. Select the “Criteria” tab then change Target from Distance to Surface. Next change the Projection from “Cut/Fill Slope” to “Cut Slope”. You can also change the Format from Slope to Grade if you prefer percent of grade instead of Slope. I set the default Grade to 33.33% because that is what I use most often. Next, select the “Information” tab and give your new Criteria a name that makes sense to you, such as “Grade to Surface – Cut Only”. Repeat the process for down projections, but change it up by selecting “Fill Slope” for the Projection.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Default Re: Grading Object Slope Control

Yes, I understand the settings can be set to Fill or Cut only. But if you set to only be Fill, and a part of the feature line you are grading from has a portion under the target surface, then in that area nothing happens. In the area where there is no Fill condition the grading object leaves a hole. In my original post I want both cut and fill conditions to produce grading and control the slope direction. The example in the first post, I always want to be grading object sloping down to existing (most likely to maintain positive drainage) no matter the cut/fill scenario. There for, when the feature line's elevation is above the target surface, fill situation, the slope is down at 4:1. When the feature line's elevation is below the target surface, cut situation, the slope is still down at 10:1. Again, to maintain positive drainage slope. I hope that helps explain what C3D doesn't do currently.