Thread: Point Label Styles for Manholes

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Point Label Styles for Manholes

Curious for input on point label styles, specifically for manholes and dip information.

I was trying to look into a way to automate label creation through through pushing description key set parameters into the point label style, but I'm coming up dry with my tinkering of it all because I can't find any way to put in parameters into a point label style. Our typical workflow is that during a topo the manholes are shot, the inverts are recorded in the fieldbook, and passed off to the office. Then we use mleaders to create and fill in the information pointing to each manhole.

I'm thinking there's not really a way to automate this in a meaningful way like I was hoping to. It's not terribly ineffective by any means, but lately I've been reviewing ways to expand a bit on the formatting for our description keys to see if we can do anything more effectively. Currently thinking there's not really a way to automate this in a meaningful way like I was hoping to. Earlier in the year we had a new hire talk about how it could be done (hence why I started to finally tinker with it), but he has since left the company so can't pick his brain about it anymore.

Anyone want to chime in on doing anything differently in regards to this?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Point Label Styles for Manholes

I mean, you can record that data in the COGO Point's raw description, and use description format to yield something like this (see below), or just create a pipe network from same and label that instead (also for Profiles, etc.)

2017-10-31_12-55-49.png

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Oh, not a bad idea at all. I'm not sure why I didn't think of working with the description format like I did with tree formatting. I guess I tunnel visioned point label styles, setting parameter 0 up to properly to populate the field (They will shoot a manhole as SM600 and up for tracking them), using a typical elevation field, and then staring at the rest of my options in the label realizing I couldn't do much with it.

However, is there a way to have it do any calcing in the format? We do the math so your north elevation should say 13.52 feet instead since 23.64-10.12 = 13.52. I'll try my hand at some googling to see what I can find.

Regardless, my other issue how to get around manholes with varying numbers of pipe. So, in theory, this works well if every manhole had the same number of pipes, but that obviously doesn't happen, let alone pipe direction, size, and in or out.

Using your label this is how our labels would look (Assuming 8" PVC)

SM610
    RIM: 23.64
    8" PVC FL N IN: 13.52
    8" PVC FL E OUT: 10.40
    8" PVC FL S IN: 10.42

With that much information in the label it feels tricky getting all of it to populate properly in an automatic fashion.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I like this idea alot. Thanks BlackBox.

Question though, how do you keep the label rotated to view when a DVIEW Twist is applied?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CCarleton View Post
    Oh, not a bad idea at all. I'm not sure why I didn't think of working with the description format like I did with tree formatting. I guess I tunnel visioned point label styles, setting parameter 0 up to properly to populate the field (They will shoot a manhole as SM600 and up for tracking them), using a typical elevation field, and then staring at the rest of my options in the label realizing I couldn't do much with it.

However, is there a way to have it do any calcing in the format? We do the math so your north elevation should say 13.52 feet instead since 23.64-10.12 = 13.52. I'll try my hand at some googling to see what I can find.

Regardless, my other issue how to get around manholes with varying numbers of pipe. So, in theory, this works well if every manhole had the same number of pipes, but that obviously doesn't happen, let alone pipe direction, size, and in or out.

Using your label this is how our labels would look (Assuming 8" PVC)

SM610
    RIM: 23.64
    8" PVC FL N IN: 13.52
    8" PVC FL E OUT: 10.40
    8" PVC FL S IN: 10.42

With that much information in the label it feels tricky getting all of it to populate properly in an automatic fashion.

Thanks!
    Definitely a challenge to manage the data with only Raw Description + Description Format + Label Styles.

I don't personally do this for more than a few things that are relatively consistent, such as Benchmarks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    I like this idea alot. Thanks BlackBox.

Question though, how do you keep the label rotated to view when a DVIEW Twist is applied?
    Happy to help!

You mean Label Style Composer, General tab, Behavior node, Orientation Reference property == View?

[Edit] - Don't forget, that COGO Points can be labeled from their XREF in your Sheet drawings, if you use Note Labels.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post

Happy to help!

You mean Label Style Composer, General tab, Behavior node, Orientation Reference property == View?

[Edit] - Don't forget, that COGO Points can be labeled from their XREF in your Sheet drawings, if you use Note Labels.

Cheers
    Yeah that is true. I do have most of my label styles set up this way. Had an issue the other day when a CAD user imported additional points into the drawing. All of the labels lost there references. So I was just trying to think of a new approach.