Thread: How do YOU set up your framing/structural layers?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How do YOU set up your framing/structural layers?

For many years in residential design and construction, I have created my drawings with the typical architectural floor plans for the Lower, Main and Upper Levels.

Additionally, I create plans for the foundation and structural (framing) elements. I have the typical Foundation Plan where I show the foundation walls, footers, column pads, etc. I then add the Lower Level Structural where I detail my steel columns and beams, the wood headers/beams at openings and the floor system for the Main Level Floor. The Main Level Structural would include all the wood headers/beams at openings and at locations carrying loads from above and the floor system for the Upper Level. Last the Upper Level Structural becomes the Roof Structural Plan where I show the wood header/beams which carry the roof load and leave the truss design and details to the truss manufacturer.

Having said all this, my problem is that the Revit Residential Template I used as a base for my template apparently doesn't agree with my way of doing things and won't play fair. Admitting that I am new to Revit and don't fully understand the View Range as much as I should, I have spent the entire weekend trying to show that 36" range (for subloor/joists/headers) at the floor. I ended up using the Revit supplied Framing Plans for the floor above and jury rigging the View Range. It is awkward and doesn't feel right. I am interested in what others are doing.

After spending the last 4 months learning Revit and having just completed my first residential project and seeing how I would do things differently the next time, I found the 'standard' method of adding a wood joist floor system doesn't work if you plan to provide floor joist layouts. It ends up duplicating your floors. Am I wrong in thinking that I should create the floor systems, 2"x or TJI's, as a structural element with no sheathing or finish flooring and then apply the finish floor separately?

I've attached a copy of the rendering of my first project. Much to learn yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to Rhythmick's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do YOU set up your framing/structural layers?

Nice .jpg, you're off to a GREAT start.

One method I use which gives you the ability to set views up similar to acad layering is to use worksets. They can be turned on and off with view settings. There is a bit of a learning curve to using worksets, but in your case I think it would be well worth it, assuming you are not already.

Once you have the worksets set up you should be able to use "overlay" in plan view to show specific components hidden under the current subflr.

There is no reason you cannot do a joist layout plan with modeled TJI's. You should not have duplicate floor systems. I model my TJI floor joists separate, below a 3/4" sheeted subfloor, as built.
    Last edited by Rhythmick; 2005-04-04 at 10:24 PM.