Thread: Font Halos

Wish List Administration

Default Font Halos

Summary: I wish that AutoDesk would develop a "halo" effect to be used with fonts.

Description: Labeling on aerial maps is always problematic. If you could chose to have a halo of white (or any other desired color) around the font labels in your drawing, this would greatly enhance readability. The halo thickness should be user definable. Currently you can choose to use a text mask to make a rectangular block out around the entire text. This is overkill sometimes, and multiple masks can degrade the look of your exhibits.

Other software packages offer this type of font halo labeling.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Other

Submitted By: mll on 11/03/2017

Default Re: Font Halos

This ought to be an AutoCAD core feature, not just a C3D tweak, as it would apply to far more scenarios than just aerials. I can sorta fake it a few different ways, but all of them are suboptimal. Halos and Shadows for TTF fonts really ought to be part of the core functionality

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    This ought to be an AutoCAD core feature, not just a C3D tweak, as it would apply to far more scenarios than just aerials. I can sorta fake it a few different ways, but all of them are suboptimal. Halos and Shadows for TTF fonts really ought to be part of the core functionality
    I strongly agree it should be a core function. It does have a lot of other applications other than aerials, that was just the best way to give someone a visual, I thought.

Once you use halos in another software package, it is real obvious of the advantage. There is not really a good workaround, just some partial ones.

Get people to vote it up in the wish list.

as long as this shows up in a C3D wishlist, it will never be done. The C3D devs can't fix core acad, and the core devs will never see it.

Do you mean like this? (note this is Civil 3D)

R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

yes, but are those map labels? of text/mtext?

I could stop if I wanted to

Two pieces of text with an SHX style font could produce a similar appearance. I've done this in the past with civil 3d labels by making two sets of the text components, anchoring them so the copies were placed on top of the originals then set those originals to plot with a big fat lineweight. I suppose you could produce the same thing with a Note label with two text components, although then you would have to edit them both to have the same text. A block with a couple attributes might do it, edit one and have the value of the second equal the first so you would only have one to edit. It could be annotative vs the way civil labels operate.

Or, simply one text on top of another with the underlying text content being a field for the content of the text on top. Edit the text on top, regen, and the fat line weight halo text below updates. Copy them as a pair and the field linking is retained.
    Last edited by MMccall; 2017-11-07 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    yes, but are those map labels? of text/mtext?
    Yes, from MAP

The point being that they already have the code to do this. Even less work.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |