See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Non-active point labels from grid insertion

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Non-active point labels from grid insertion

Hello all,
    I noticed in my drawing that the points--and point labels-- I inserted on a grid do not auto update (I.E. they remain static) when I change the surface elevation. This holds for the points from the volume surface as well. Yes I did rebuild the surfaces and did a regenall. I even erased the volume surface and regenerated it from the new surfaces. Why is this happening? My solution now is to erase all the grid points and recreate them which seems ridiculous.

TT

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Non-active point labels from grid insertion

I don't know if I have much experience with what you're referring to, but if they're not updating when you tamper with the surface that'd mean they're not linked to the surface.

What types of points are these? Spot elevation points? Points from a CSV? Manual Points you created off the surface?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

These are surface points created from the Pointongrid command (Create Ground Data panel of ribbon). When the command starts, it asks for a surface to reference. This surface is what the point uses for an elevation. My problem is that these elevations remain static when the surface changes. I always thought that this kind of info was always dynamic--unless changed. Thus the power of Civil 3D etc.

TT

Login to Give a bone

Its a point object vs surface point label thing.

Point Objects:
    The command you ran created POINT OBJECTS and assigned them elevations based on a selected surface. The labels on these points are labeling the point object's elevation. These points are not linked to the surface, its just that the surface was used in creating them as a source for their Z values. All is not lost though as you can select those points and the ribbon will show 'Elevations from Surface' in the modify section. This will update those point's Z values to the current elevations from the selected surface. Its a manual update but it will do the whole bunch of them in one shot.

Surface Point Labels:
    You can place a label on a surface that reflects the elevation of the surface at a location (point). These are just labels, not point objects, but these labels are dynamically linked to the surface and will update with any surface modifications. There is an option to create these surface labels in a grid pattern that is very similar to the command for the point objects in a grid formation.

Login to Give a bone

Hi
    one word of caution when using the dynamically linked labels. Double check that they have updated. I have a few cases where some but not all labels updated.