Thread: Select label sub-entities to assign reference text to Profile (Civil 3D)

Login to Give a bone

Default Select label sub-entities to assign reference text to Profile (Civil 3D)

Hi all

I'm wondering if someone can help.

I work in Civil 3D and usually have drawings with many many alignments. These all have labels and ticks etc. As well as this the drawings can be heavy with all the xrefs and base plans.

Our normal company style is to have chainage and road surface elevation combined into one label. However to assign the elevations to the reference text we have to select that label (as there are multiple labels on the alignment), isolate it and then reselect it whilst holding down the control key. Then the labels have been selected as sub entities and can be assigned to a profile. The problem with this is that it is time consuming and tedious especially with many alignments.

Is there any way to write code that allows the user to run a command and just select the whole chain of required labels and it will automatically select them as sub entities so that the reference text can be assigned without the rigmarole of isolating and selecting with CTRL pressed.

We use Civil 3D 2011 and 2014

Regards

Nik D

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Select label sub-entities to assign reference text to Profile (Civil 3D)

Welcome to AUGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik-D View Post
    Our normal company style is to have chainage and road surface elevation combined into one label. However to assign the elevations to the reference text we have to select that label (as there are multiple labels on the alignment), isolate it and then reselect it whilst holding down the control key. Then the labels have been selected as sub entities and can be assigned to a profile. The problem with this is that it is time consuming and tedious especially with many alignments.
    It is unfortunate that Edit Alignment Labels dialog does not permit Profile specification for Major/Minor Station Labels, and that Profile Geometry Labels do support Profile specification but not also Station increment.

The oldest version I have installed is 2016; can you not simply use Major/Minor Station Labels (at the desired increment), Left Click select one Alignment Station Label (to select the group), and change the reference text component in Properties Pane?

Yes, you'd need to do this once for each Alignment, as they'd likely need their own respective Profile, and you can still Ctrl + Select individual Alignment Station Labels and modify them independently, but this should also work en-mass (for the same Group of same Style Labels). If not, this would be a surprise to me, as I do not recall this being a new feature.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Select label sub-entities to assign reference text to Profile (Civil 3D)

Hi
    The closest you can come that I know is to use the profile band but I personally don't use them much. You might inquire of someone that is familiar with them

Login to Give a bone

Ok thanks for that, we have changed the label styles to do this. As you said for major/minor stations no it cannot be done but for profile geometry points yes.

What I'd also like to see is the InstantaneousGrade available as an expression symbol for the major and minor station values.

one day......one day

Thanks guys