Thread: title block from DWG wtih pline thickness

Login to Give a bone

Default title block from DWG wtih pline thickness

I'm a Revit newbie. I've taken the four-day class and now I'm trying to get productive.

I have a simple title block I use in most of my AutoCAD and Civil-3d drawings, and it includes polylines with some thickness. I imported and partial-exploded it, and it shows well in my Revit sheets except for the line thickness. How can I get the lines in the title block to show the thickness I want?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: title block from DWG wtih pline thickness

First off I would say to not have any CAD work in your title blocks in Revit. If you import the CAD file into the title block template don't explode it. Trace over what you want. For different line thicknesses you can create different line types or you can used filled regions if the lines are wider. After you do that I would copy all of your new Revit native work and paste it into a new blank title block template to remove any of the CAD garbage.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I'm a Revit newbie. I've taken the four-day class and now I'm trying to get productive.

I have a simple title block I use in most of my AutoCAD and Civil-3d drawings, and it includes polylines with some thickness. I imported and partial-exploded it, and it shows well in my Revit sheets except for the line thickness. How can I get the lines in the title block to show the thickness I want?
    Yay! Another Civil to Revit convert! Welcome! Too bad you are starting out doing what we tell our users to never do...and that is to explode DWG's. The reason being, all the linetypes, patterns, materials and gunk in a unclean DWG adds all that to the Revit file. So if you have a template with specific linetypes all the sudden you get a ton more from the dwg.

Oh....and Revit doesn't recognize plines in DWG's if you just link them in either. Lines will need to be layer based so you can specify the lineweight in the view properties. So this also means leaders won't show their arrows if you decided to link in DWG Detail sheets.

Learn early by doing everything in Revit based on what you did in CAD. Don't try to integrate CAD into Revit.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Apart from the good advice about DWG's in Revit...

Plines don't exist in Revit, no equivalent element for it to convert to within Revit. You can influence the lineweight assigned to DWG lines when you import/link a DWG via the Import Line Weights Dialog (Insert ribbon tab > Import panel > small arrow right bottom corner). It is based on the colors used in AutoCAD's CTB settings assigned to Revit pens 1-16 (associated with lineweight). If you associate the color assigned to the Plines with an appropriate pen setting in Revit you can make it (Revit) assign a thicker line weight to the resulting line.

If you (whoever created the file) use Style Based Pen Settings (STB) then it is harder to convert, Revit only recognizes the Color based system (CTB).

With title blocks people often want very thick boundaries with squared off edges. Revit draws lines like a ink pen or pencil, with round endpoints. To create square corners we usually resort to using a Filled Region (Solid Fill) and draw the boundary lines very close together, but far enough to simulate the thick boundary lines we want.