See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: I just started with an Architectural firm as their new BIM Coordinator

Login to Give a bone

Cool I just started with an Architectural firm as their new BIM Coordinator

Hello, I am seeking some experienced ideas and suggestions. I just started with an Architectural firm as their new BIM Coordinator. This is a new position for me but I have been doing drafting and design for almost 40 years and have worked in many disciplines. Good news/bad news, almost 30 of that with AutoCAD since version 9. I have had training on Revit and Solidworks so I do have other training.

We are running AutoCAD AEC Suite with 50 seats. The interview members felt I had the right background, training and ability to do the job and I am going to give it my best. I have been running through the Revit training courses we have and trying to get up to speed, and reading many articles on what and how to do the job. But experience is always the best source. I am also lucky the person I am replacing is still with the firm and is helping get setup and he said he will help me when I have a questions.

Anyone care to share some words of wisdom.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I just started with an Architectural firm as their new BIM Coordinator

Congrats on the new role!

I say, stay connected with the industry.
    The Revit forums have topics galore that can help when you run into issues, and seeing new threads pop up can make you aware of problems that might arise so you're prepared when they do.
    http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?93-Revit
    And of course, the AUGIWorld articles in the library:
    https://www.augi.com/articles
    There are about 250 articles mentioning Revit so far, 22 of them from this year.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I just started with an Architectural firm as their new BIM Coordinator

Thank you for your suggestions

Login to Give a bone

In addition to getting up to speed on Revit (essential if Revit is your firm's BIM software of choice), you will also need to understand how your new firm works. Getting the software to work with that workflow, and, where necessary, getting the workflow to adjust to the software will be major tasks on your plate. You did not mention what the firm's experience with Revit is. Is it new to all/most of them, or have they been all-Revit, all-the-time for years? If you have staff with significant Revit experience, in addition to the former occupant of your roll, identifying the "power" Revit users and making them your new best work friends (or at least cultivating positive workplace relationships with them) will go a long way towards your understanding how they work now and you will have first group that you will need to "sell" on any changes (as well as the group who may have the best suggestions for improvements).

Good luck!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would like to ask you an odd question... what will you be doing as the BIM Coordinator? I ask because a BIM coordinator for one firm may be a BIM manager, or in charge of BIM on a project team, or even a person that specializes in training and support across a firm. Not all BIM coordinators do the same thing.

I have done a little bit of everything, the more we understand what you will be doing the better the advice we can provide. No matter what, good luck, and we're here to help!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    I would like to ask you an odd question... what will you be doing as the BIM Coordinator? I ask because a BIM coordinator for one firm may be a BIM manager, or in charge of BIM on a project team, or even a person that specializes in training and support across a firm. Not all BIM coordinators do the same thing.

I have done a little bit of everything, the more we understand what you will be doing the better the advice we can provide. No matter what, good luck, and we're here to help!

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I am right now mainly in charge of the computers, making sure all the software is updated, training, and being there for problems. I am sure they will have me doing more as time goes on. I do have a lot of back ground, Design Drafter, Facility Designer, Project Manager, Estimator, Spec Writer and about 40 years of drafting and CAD experience. I have also worked in most types of drafting work.

Vince

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info Vince and my apologies for a delayed response.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to setup your templates and make their content feel as close to your existing company standards as possible. For our conversation, this is NOT specifically for continuity in your firm's deliverables, even if that will be a strong reason to do it. For you, as the new BIM Coordinator, this is so other individuals readily accept the software environment they are ready to enter into. If they see the lineweights, titleblocks, and general content they are used to seeing they will have a higher comfort level and a lower frustration level than they otherwise would.

As far as you as an individual, I recommend patience and keeping a log of issues and directions you may want to take your firm. I always have my "to do" list handy and I update it on a regular basis. I then knock off a few items on my list on a semi-regular basis. As people see continual improvement and see you are fixing issues that they found in a timely manner (and that you have not forgotten about them) they will grow in confidence for the software and ... more importantly... in you.

Ultimately, being a BIM manager or coordinator is less about the software and more about your ability to manage people, projects, and tasks. You are managing their expectations, their confidence, and enhancing their project success. Make your users feel good (or better) and get them to trust you. Once you do that everything else gets to be easier. The hardest thing about being a BIM manager (for some people) is realizing that this is not about you... it's being a true, unselfish team player that thinks about the team first and their success. You then need to juggle those priorities with any project work priorities and keep everyone (OK, almost everyone) happy.

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As a suggestion for any BIM management, I would strongly suggest creating BIM protocols and have it as instructions for all new staff (and for existing ones to adapt to). My own observations are that, because Revit is so powerful, and there's multiple ways of achieving the end-goal of documentation / 3D models, that protocols are a must to ensure everyone is operating in a similar (and compatible) fashion.
    Added to this I'd also suggest the protocols be broken up into "Office Level" protocols, and "Project Specific" protocols. Office Level ones outline what you will and won't do in your office but flexibility is necessary (I believe) so that some are determined by the project itself (e.g. what level of detail you're modelling to....how are you interfacing with consultants files...wall types and finishes...) Each project has differing requirements from Revit (or any BIM)