Thread: AutoCad Architecture 2018 memory requirements

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCad Architecture 2018 memory requirements

Greetings, I'm currently looking to purchase AutoCad Architecture 2018and a new computer to run it on at home. Once I get up and running again, I may do some sub contractor design work. Question is, the HP desktop I was looking at has 8 mb memory, upgradable to 16mb. The program suggests 4, but 8 recommended. Would increasing to 16 in the memory department be over kill?
    Thanks for the help.

Gary

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCad Architecture 2018 memory requirements

It all depends upon the type of work you are planning to do, the size of the files on which you plan to work and how many other things you will be expecting your computer to be doing at the same time. I assume you mean 8 or 16 GB of RAM, and not MB.

If your AutoCAD Architecture work will be done when only AutoCAD Architecture is running (besides the operating system, and a File Explorer window or two) and you primarily view your relatively small-size drawings from the top (plan) view direction (2D graphics, for most AEC objects), the 8 GB may be sufficient. On the other hand, if you plan to do detailed 3D models with materials, and want to navigate through a relatively large model with the Realistic Visual Style set current, then 16GB would probably not be overkill (and a good graphics card would also be in order). If you have any future plans to use Revit, get as much RAM as you can afford.

Find out how many slots the motherboard has for RAM, and whether or not memory needs to be added in matched pairs. If you have the option, choose a configuration that gives you the opportunity to expand in the future, without replacing the memory you buy now. For example, if your motherboard has four memory slots, requires matched pairs and you were going to get 8 GB of RAM, it would be better to get two 4 GB modules now, rather than four 2 GB modules. It will probably cost a little more, but you will then have two slots open for future expansion, while keeping your current modules. (Similarly, for 16 GB, it would be better to get two 8 GB modules, than four 4 GB modules.)

For reference: My work computer has 32 GB of RAM, but as Design Technology Manager, I often have several sessions of AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD MEP and/or Revit running simultaneously. At home, I have 48 GB of RAM (the machine came with 16 GB (2 x 8GB) and had two additional memory slots, to which I added an additional 32 GB (2 x 16GB). The first computer I owned was, even for its time, rather short on memory, and by the time I was able to add memory, I was not able to find affordable, compatible memory. Since then, I have tried to maximize the RAM on subsequent computers, keeping an eye on the price. There has been a "sweet spot" each time - it was relatively inexpensive to add memory up to that sweet spot, and then prohibitively expensive to go beyond that point. My previous home computer had 8 GB of RAM, because, at the time, going to 16 would have busted the budget by a wide margin. I bought my current home computer this past summer.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCad Architecture 2018 memory requirements

Thanks for the response and info David. Yes, indeed I meant GB instead of MB. LOL Well then, you've made my decision for the bigger the better. Thank You