See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Quadro M1200 for Autocad 2018 and Revit 2018

Login to Give a bone

Default Quadro M1200 for Autocad 2018 and Revit 2018

Hi!

We are buying new mobile workstations to our Company and want them to work good with both Autocad 2018 and Revit 2018. Our IT-supplier has recommended HP Zbook Studio G4 (15,3", Windows 10, 16GB memory, Nvidia Quadro M1200) to us.
    At this time we have only bought one of those and when installing Autocad 2018 on it the log in Hardware Acceleration says "Hardware Recommended: False", why is that??

Qaudro M1200 is a certified hardware according to Autodesks page about it!?

How about the M1200 and Revit 2018? Does anybody know how it will work? According to Autodesks page about certified hardware no GPU´s for mobile workstations are certified for Revit, how can that be 2017? Who is working with a desktop workstation in 2017, not many here in Sweden i can say!

Please come with some experiences to me and some advice what GPU:s we should use in our HP Zbook Studio G4.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Quadro M1200 for Autocad 2018 and Revit 2018

It should work. What usually happens is laptops have intel adapter cards as well and you need to go into the display settings and set the Nvidia card to be the primary graphics card for all programs.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...nfraWorks.html
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Pretty sure the IT supplier doesn't do any CAD work: 15" is a freakin' small display.

There's a few things about the graphics cards. One, "not certified" isn't the same as "doesn't work". For the most part anything reasonable will run. When it's certified, its done with a specific driver version which may be newer or older than the one currently installed. Two, the certification report from the actual software is based on a local file which may be out of date, and only compares version information - it doesn't do any actual testing.

Given that you're using Revit don't skimp on the GPU. I'd say start at a 2000M or even 4000M if you're limited to the workstation line.

And be careful with the assumptions. Not many offices are working only on laptops, most will be working on desktops if solely for the lower cost if not ease of modifications (adding a second or third drive, updating a video card, adding more RAM, etc.). There's a significant difference in cost and delivery time when sourcing a few hundred units.

Login to Give a bone

15" is small....be sure you have external displays to hook up to (mine is a 15", but I have two 24" screens...two 32" screens at home)...but if you travel a lot, that 15" is a lot easier to handle than a 17" beast.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

15" works for us when everbody has two 27" screens at work. A 17" is about 2kg more weight to handle when going to meetings etc.

Have asked our IT-supplier to check a better GPU now. I have set the Nvidia card to be the primary card on every computer we have.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by fredrik.schlau View Post
    15" works for us when everbody has two 27" screens at work. A 17" is about 2kg more weight to handle when going to meetings etc.

Have asked our IT-supplier to check a better GPU now. I have set the Nvidia card to be the primary card on every computer we have.
    I worked for a firm that used to issue CAD notebooks as well; not really as effective as intended, with all of the lugging around heavy equipment, or intentionally reducing productivity (due to inferior hardware spec). Haha

For this reason, with my current firm, I've invested the majority of our technology budget in maximizing our desktop workstations, and remote access infrastructure. Regardless of if I'm at home, or at a meeting, so long as I have decent internet access, I've got the full power of my new workstation available: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...50#post1330950

For meetings in the office, I've tailored our NETLOGON script to automagically remote the user signing into the conference room laptop, directly into their workstation. The owner/engineers can now focus on leading the meeting, and I can actually 'show' the client(s) what we have, not to mention do actual work on the project in-meeting (depending on the task, of course), rather than having to make markups and transcribe them after the fact.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2017-12-08 at 03:51 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

You need way more RAM, Better Processor, Better Hardrive, Better Graphics card.
    Check BOXX computers. Way more expensive but you either pay now or pay later when the HP lacks the performance that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrik.schlau View Post
    Hi!

We are buying new mobile workstations to our Company and want them to work good with both Autocad 2018 and Revit 2018. Our IT-supplier has recommended HP Zbook Studio G4 (15,3", Windows 10, 16GB memory, Nvidia Quadro M1200) to us.
    At this time we have only bought one of those and when installing Autocad 2018 on it the log in Hardware Acceleration says "Hardware Recommended: False", why is that??

Qaudro M1200 is a certified hardware according to Autodesks page about it!?

How about the M1200 and Revit 2018? Does anybody know how it will work? According to Autodesks page about certified hardware no GPU´s for mobile workstations are certified for Revit, how can that be 2017? Who is working with a desktop workstation in 2017, not many here in Sweden i can say!

Please come with some experiences to me and some advice what GPU:s we should use in our HP Zbook Studio G4.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Pretty sure the IT supplier doesn't do any CAD work: 15" is a freakin' small display.

There's a few things about the graphics cards. One, "not certified" isn't the same as "doesn't work". For the most part anything reasonable will run. When it's certified, its done with a specific driver version which may be newer or older than the one currently installed. Two, the certification report from the actual software is based on a local file which may be out of date, and only compares version information - it doesn't do any actual testing.

Given that you're using Revit don't skimp on the GPU. I'd say start at a 2000M or even 4000M if you're limited to the workstation line.

And be careful with the assumptions. Not many offices are working only on laptops, most will be working on desktops if solely for the lower cost if not ease of modifications (adding a second or third drive, updating a video card, adding more RAM, etc.). There's a significant difference in cost and delivery time when sourcing a few hundred units.
    Autodesk no longer certifies Video Card drivers, regardless of what the software is telling you

Login to Give a bone

Just my 2 cents, but I've been using my M2800 dell now for a few years now and I have to say it's pretty good. 2GB AMD FirePro GPU, i7 CPU @ 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM. Works well for modest models, not as fast as a desktop of course but it let's me get the job done when needed. Screen size is a limiting factor, but I only use it on sites where I do the drawing on-site and with the client looking over my shoulder (never nice!). Battery life is great and I've done 7 hour days on one charge while using CAD (2016), with only a reasonable amount of Battery saving features enabled. Hope that helps.